15:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

disused stations

Old 16th March 2008, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
there are also remnents of two stations between west hampstead thameslink and kentish town but they are little more than bricks and stuff in the ten foot now.
And whilst you're travelling on the Thameslink line don't forget to look out for Snow Hill/Holborn Viaduct Low Level station. It starts literally as you leave City Thameslink station travelling northwards, until you reach Smithfield Sidings. They often leave the lights on so you have a reasonable chance of seeing it.

Here's a linky to the excellent SubBrit site...http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ll/index.shtml

Old 16th March 2008, 22:54

Although the platforms are no longer there some of the station buildings of Kegworth (north of Loughborough on the Midland main line) remain.
Old 17th March 2008, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
And whilst you're travelling on the Thameslink line don't forget to look out for Snow Hill/Holborn Viaduct Low Level station. It starts literally as you leave City Thameslink station travelling northwards, until you reach Smithfield Sidings. They often leave the lights on so you have a reasonable chance of seeing it.
are yousure this is the old station as it is directly linked to city platform 1 (or is it 2? the northbound one) if my memory serves.

on that subject, on the right as you approach farringdon in the tunnel is a house!

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 17th March 2008, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
are yousure this is the old station as it is directly linked to city platform 1 (or is it 2? the northbound one) if my memory serves.

on that subject, on the right as you approach farringdon in the tunnel is a house!
Yup I'm absolutely certain. I used to drive through here several times every day, as well as having a good nose-around whilst at Smithfield sidings.

There are several structures down there. Firstly there seems to be a platelayers' refuge which looks quite old - This is a photo I took several years ago and posted to Wiki. We drivers have had alot of discussions about this, and wonder if it is part of the old station.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...unny_Patch.jpg

It's just off the north end of what remains of the down (southbound) line platform, and the photo has been taken whilst standing at the king points of Smithfield sidings

Additionally there are much newer 'equipment blockhouses' on the Up line, which have been built on top of the old Snow Hill platform itself. You must remember that Snow Hill station was located very close to Holborn Viaduct, so that when they modernised the area they tore down the old raised Ludgate Hill station and arches to the Holborn Viaduct complex, and built City Thameslink pretty much in the hole that was created. There is no gap; where Snow Hill station ends, City T/L begins. VS346 signal (which by no coincidence is the last northbound main aspect signal controlled by Victoria ASC before control switches to West Hampstead ASC) just about defines where the old and the new 'meet'.

If you look at the link to Nick Catford's excellent site which I embedded in my previous post, it might help you visualise.

HTH,
Foggy

Last edited by Foghut; 17th March 2008 at 10:56.
Old 17th March 2008, 18:57

What an incredible photo!
On the line, long gone, that ran from Pinxton,Nottinghamshire, to join the line to Nottingham Victoria at Awsworth Junction, was a viaduct known locally as "Forty Bridges. This had quite a few of the arches bricked up and these had houses in them. As a kid in the 1950's I can remember going in, the by then derelict houses. The staircases were still in them and the lathe and plaster ceilings, very unsafe though and even we little brats did'nt dare try and climb up them.
Paul.
Old 18th March 2008, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
There are several structures down there. Firstly there seems to be a platelayers' refuge which looks quite old. We drivers have had alot of discussions about this, and wonder if it is part of the old station.

It's just off the north end of what remains of the down (southbound) line platform, and the photo has been taken whilst standing at the king points of Smithfield sidings

Additionally there are much newer 'equipment blockhouses' on the Up line, which have been built on top of the old Snow Hill platform itself. There is no gap; where Snow Hill station ends, City T/L begins. VS346 signal just about defines where the old and the new 'meet'.

If you look at the link to Nick Catford's excellent site which I embedded in my previous post, it might help you visualise.
You wouldn't believe I worked there for 6 years would you!!! the pics really have brought the memory back and yeah it kinda makes sense. I imagine the former arch in the picture made up the triangle of track that was there. I only went into the sidings once, so my memory was a bit rusty.

Well done for making it past that today!

Last edited by hairyhandedfool; 22nd March 2008 at 11:48.