23:37

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Favourite Station

Old 21st January 2012, 11:58

Cromford on the Matlock line I dont think its changed since Midland days.

Old 23rd February 2012, 16:58

I personally love Leeds Station, There Are 20 Platforms and they are so long, probably THE BIGGEST STATION IN THE UK, AND I LOVE WATCHING THEM ALL COME AND GO.
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:42

I suppose it has to be the two stations I have travelled from most - York (1st) and Exeter(St David's)2nd but I would prefer it to be the 1950's . I can still an A3 skidding on take off from platform 9 for the north.There is a great 1950's BT film 'This is York' with the voice of my favourite train announcer(female).Worth seeing was LlanfairPG now closed on Anglesey. Put bottom a filthy Manchester(Victoria) in steam days.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:47

Victoria Station:

I dread to think what George Stephenson would think of the station that he designed and is now rated as filthy.
I must say though that I read that the station is now a 'deserted relic'. Having spent many hours at the station in my youth and not visited it for over 50yrs I decided to satisfy my 'need to know obsession' and took a train ride into it, and sadly, I agree.
The tiled map of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway at the entrance of the station is still an outstanding feature.
Old 24th February 2012, 21:11

manchester victoria is my favourite station-i have stated this previously,i remember this station in the 70s as a child,17 platforms and through roads,even back then though the place was filthy,how can you say the station is a deserted relic?6.125 people use the station annualy-according to wikipedia,this doesnt even include tfgm travel cards,metrolink usage,1.000 people who pass through the station to jd williams catalouge upstairs near the arena entrance,you must of been at the station at a very quiet time?ok the roof is a disgrace as are the old diesel clapped out 142s,150s etc,in the last two years-new platforms on 1 and 2,new lighting on the concourse,new wind break shelters currently being built-platforms 3-6,new lighting has been installed on the same platforms,the new toilet facilities have also been opened[the old ones were a disgrace],next..a new roof,electrification,new shops,cafes,escalators,direct links to manchester airport-via piccadilly,this was once a proud station and still is..
Old 24th February 2012, 21:54

My favourite stations would be York and Exeter(St David's) because they are the two stations I have made most journeys from. However to be at their best it would have to be in the 1950's. One of the worst would be Manchester (Victoria) again as it was in the 1950s.