13:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello - and can anyone get me close to a Class 66!

Old 17th June 2011, 22:48

Hello - and can anyone get me close to a Class 66!

Hi there. I haven't found my way round the forum yet, but it looks great.

I've been a model engineer for some 30 years and the latest project I am just starting (which should see me out!) is to build a Class 66 in 1/8th scale (7.25" gauge track).

I have plans, but these are flat and one dimentional. I would really like to get up close and personal to a static Class 66 to photograph the detail (especially the running gear). They sometimes pass through my local stations - Woking and Guildford - as I am waiting for a train but then I don't have my camera and my mobile cannot get the detail.

My attempts to get EMD and the like to give me access have failed so far.

Does anyone know of a public vantage point in the south of England from which I could get decent close up shots of a static loco - ideally both sides!

Many thanks for any help.

Tony

Old 18th June 2011, 00:06

If you can wait till autum the leaf fall trains park in liv st
last yr there were 2 top and tail in platform 9 I had a good look round inside the cab through open window photos and measurments would have been no problem
may have needed to explain to platform staff
the time was about 11 am
Old 18th June 2011, 11:43
Station Manager

Hi Tony.

Took this photo at Didcot the other day. Could have got a lot closer but I was trying to get all of them in! Don't know if this is a regular parking spot for Sheds!

Didcot would not be too far from you.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6114572rf.jpg (36.8 KB, 22 views)
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 18th June 2011, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh-uk View Post

I've been a model engineer for some 30 years and the latest project I am just starting (which should see me out!) is to build a Class 66 in 1/8th scale (7.25" gauge track).

I have plans, but these are flat and one dimentional. I would really like to get up close and personal to a static Class 66 to photograph the detail (especially the running gear). They sometimes pass through my local stations - Woking and Guildford - as I am waiting for a train but then I don't have my camera and my mobile cannot get the detail.

Does anyone know of a public vantage point in the south of England from which I could get decent close up shots of a static loco - ideally both sides!

Tony
Have a look at the Trainspots website that will show you places where you can get decent photographs
This is one near to you I think
http://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=799

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 18th June 2011, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh-uk View Post

Tony
Hi Tony, try Eastleigh - most freightliner trains stop at the station for a crew change, so they're static for a few minutes each time, should give you time to get some decent closeup pics. They stop at platform 1 (northbound) and platform 2 (mostly southbound), and there's two tracks in between, so you wouldn't be cramped for photographic space, if you see what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6461-66591-4O27-0540-Garst-SM.jpg (128.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4194-66035.jpg (122.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th June 2011, 17:33

Thanks to all those who have suggested sites where I may get some detailed pictures. I shall follow them up.

Regards.

Tony
Old 18th June 2011, 20:24

Hi Tony,
Welcome to the forum. I get quite a few 66s passing my back garden here at Clitheroe - see attached - and they often get signal checked bringing them to a standstill. I'll try and get some images for you over the next few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Class 66.jpg (139.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th June 2011, 20:44
Station Manager

Hello Tony and welcome to the Railway Forum.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:52

Hi David

It's very kind of you to get some images for me. My particular interest at the moment is the bogie (being of USA origin they refer to this as the truck but I still prefer bogie!). The bogie frame appears to be an enormous casting and has different angles to the sides - two sloping ones in between the flat sides that contain the floating axle boxes. Judging the degree of slope is difficult. There is also some lettering cast into the rear of these two sloping sides. Any detail of this would be most welcome.

Thanks again - and no hurry - it'll take me five years at least to build the model!

Tony
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:41

From Monday 4th July for 3 weeks, on each weekday there will probably be a GBRf class 66 shunting wagons throughout the afternoon and early evening on the Bluebell Railway's northern section at East Grinstead. At times you could be close enough to the locomotive to reach out and almost touch it.

Chris