10:41

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hi from a new member

Old 31st March 2010, 02:02

Hi from a new member

Hi everyone,

Just found my way here via a link on another forum I'm a member of and it looked interesting so thought I would join. I suspect that I will find a few members here who I already know from the other forum.

Although I was born and educated in the UK I have spent most of my working life in the Middle and Far East and have not had much opportunity to indulge in railway modelling during that time. However, having recently retired, I have now returned to railway modelling after an absense of over 30 tears. My wife is Chinese and I have retired to live in her home town of Guilin, China where the climate is better suited to my old bones that that of the UK and the cost of living is much less.

I last had a layout in the early 1980s which was 00 gauge but I am now building an N Gauge layout based on GWR just after WWII and prior to nationalisation. I will probably give more details on a separate thread later.

I look forward to meeting you all 'On Forum' and to exchanging knowledge and ideas with you.

Last edited by Chinahand; 31st March 2010 at 05:49.
Old 31st March 2010, 06:16
Registered Member

Trevor "me old China", welcome to the Forum mate.
A good site and lots of good mates on here.

Enjoy.

Looking forward to your posts.

Old 31st March 2010, 08:45
Registered Member

Hello

Hello Trevor welcome to the railway forum.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:42
Station Manager

Hello Trevor and welcome to the Railway Forum. I could do with moving to where the climate is better suited to my old bones as well. Unfortunately I still have 2 years to go before I can retire.
Old 1st April 2010, 18:36

Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen. I look forward to becoming an active participant.

4811 - I have spent many a happy hour in 'The Old China Hand' in Wanchai, Hong Kong. It's still the only place you can get bacon, eggs, toast & coffee at 4 am. Nuff said.

DSY011 - I could have gone on for another couple of years to 65 but when the construction industry in Dubai crashed last year, along with just about everything else, I had the chance to take early retirement on full pension. The rest, as they say, is history.
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:02

Ni Hao Ma?

Its a small world, a mate of mine is currently teaching in Guilin. Its a place I would like to go to but I'm a bit pre-occupied with visits to Sichuan..........
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:30

Greetings from Guilin

Hi Anon Mouse. It is, as you say, "a small world" indeed.

If you ever make it to Guilin it would be great to meet up for a beer or two. We even have a spare room if you need somewhere to stay. Likewise, if your 'mate' fancies meeting up for a beer. Expats are few and far between here and it would be good to be able to have a chat. Is he into model railways also ?. If not, maybe we can convert him

If he's interested I'll PM my mobile No. to you.
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinahand View Post
Hi Anon Mouse. It is, as you say, "a small world" indeed.

If you ever make it to Guilin it would be great to meet up for a beer or two. We even have a spare room if you need somewhere to stay. Likewise, if your 'mate' fancies meeting up for a beer. Expats are few and far between here and it would be good to be able to have a chat. Is he into model railways also ?. If not, maybe we can convert him

If he's interested I'll PM my mobile No. to you.
Cheers Chinahand, my mate Jonno is just into Punk, Drinking and Sunderland AFC, sadly he has no interest in Railways. Before I make any plans to visit anywhere other than Sichuan I need to see what happenes with my fiancee's visa application which is kinda taking over at the minuite.....she also is not interested in trains and she cant understand why I would rather get a dirty, smelly old fashioned green carriage train that takes 2 hours from Pengshan to Chengdu when we can get a modern, clean and fast coach that takes just over an hour!

Cheers for the invite, all the expats in Chengdu seem to be a bit up themselves or German!
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:05
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Trevor. Look forward to your posts.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:32

Uploading Photos

I've been trying to upload photos into an Album but I must be doing something wrong.

I have clicked on the 'Community' link and then the 'Your photos & Albums' link but can't seem to find the 'Add Album' link. Could someone direct me to this as I would like to set up a thread for my layout progress with some pictures embedded into it.