09:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello - and can anyone get me close to a Class 66!

Old 22nd June 2011, 12:04

Many thanks Chris

I went to the Epsom Model Railway exhibition a few weeks ago and the Bluebell had a stand there. I saw from this that they were regularly using a Class 66 to head a train for removing the waste from the cutting that will provide the final link into East Grinstead.

As I thought the train would be static while they filled the wagons I wrote to Bluebell and asked if I could photograph the loco in return for a reasonable donation to their Waste Clearance fund. However, they refused saying it was too busy around the loco (?).

So if they are shunting at East Grinstead then I will get down their and see what I can photograph. Thanks for the tip off.

Tony

Old 22nd June 2011, 16:56

If you can find the time to go back, you get on the road to kingscote-east grinstead
there is a public right of way over the bridge over the tip,,perfect for photos.
no vehicles though the road is private and signed with tow away signs..it is a right of way on foot
if you can find it there is space in a sort of lay by next to the road for 1 vehicle only
look for signs to a builders merchant (i think) It will be only about 1/2 mile along from east grinstead i walked it on the last open day....hope that helps
Old 27th June 2011, 16:10

Try Toton near Nottingham where there is a ready supply of class 60/66/67 and 08 shunters. In addition they have stored class 37/56/58 and 60's. Good viewing from Toton Bank alongside. Trainspots seem to have all the details as Madcaravaner said.
Good luck
Regards
Phil
Old 29th June 2011, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh-uk View Post
I went to the Epsom Model Railway exhibition a few weeks ago and the Bluebell had a stand there.
It's a small world. I was the Bluebell Stand Manager for that particular show and was there on both days. I'm also passed out as a Signalman (Kingscote) and a Passenger and Goods Train Guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh-uk View Post
As I thought the train would be static while they filled the wagons I wrote to Bluebell and asked if I could photograph the loco in return for a reasonable donation to their Waste Clearance fund. However, they refused saying it was too busy around the loco (?).
The whole northern section is treated as a "construction site" (including the Bluebell platform) particularly when waste trains are being loaded. The contractor's health & safety regime is in place with the result that nobody who has not been assessed and approved is allowed on the site. This even includes the likes of me.

Nonetheless there are three excellent vantage points for photography:

(a) Sainsbury's car park which is immediately adjacent to the Bluebell station;
(b) Hill Place Farm Bridge as mentioned above by 'colchesterken'. The parking restrictions are applicable only to the builders merchants, but through which is a public footpath that extends through their car park and then upto and across the railway bridge. It is essential that you park YOUR car out on the road.
(c) On the Network Rail platforms when the waste train arrives and departs at East Grinstead (about 1pm and 9pm respectively each day, Monday to Friday).

Chris

Last edited by Axe; 29th June 2011 at 01:20.
Old 29th June 2011, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
Try Toton near Nottingham where there is a ready supply of class 60/66/67 and 08 shunters. In addition they have stored class 37/56/58 and 60's. Good viewing from Toton Bank alongside. Trainspots seem to have all the details as Madcaravaner said.
Good luck
Regards
Phil
Ta for the Bouquet
IF you go there there are a couple of things to remember

1/ Good shoes/boots especially if it's been raining
2/ BIG lens at least 300mm but 500-1000 would be better and set the camera to FINE or RAW

3/ Oh Yes a sturdy tripod

I just wish I could get my wheelchair up there now but no chance

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 1st July 2011, 11:10

Thanks

Thanks to all those trying to get me close to a Class 66.

My favourite at the moment is East Grinstead (not the least because it is the nearest). I understand that operations will recommence on the 4th July and I now have three recommended sites where I may get a good shot. I have a very good long focus lens so I may be able to get the detail I require even though I am not close. The real prize will be if I can get shots that give depth which will aid me in building to scale in '3D' which two dimensional plans are not giving me at the moment. Ideally I would lay a three foot rule down by the loco and then I can scale from there, but I will use a known dimension on the loco to give me this reference.

I am a long standing member of the Guildford Model Engineering Society and we have several retired (and some current) South West drivers among our membership. One knows a driver based at Eastleigh, so he may be able to get me in there, but he is not in regular contact so it could be some way off.

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Tony