12:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello from Aus!

Old 28th January 2010, 20:04
Station Manager

Hello Puff and welcome to the Railway Forum. I would like to see some photos of your layout and the rolling stock. I started out in 'N' gauge but due to sight problems, I have changed to '00'

Old 29th January 2010, 04:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrat View Post
G,Day Puff I was over there a couple of years back and visited a steam railway centre had a lovely Garratt in there guy told me it would probably never steam again as there was not enough money or people to make it happen.Welcome to the forum enjoy.
Regards
Paul
The railway I think your talking about is the Bush Mill Railway in Port Arthur, Tasmania. It was a narrow guage, 15 inches I think, and it had a replica of the first Beyer-Garratt, which was known as the K1. It closed in 2004 I believe. I've been on it but I don't remember much as I was only 2.
Old 29th January 2010, 19:36

Hi Puff my son lives in Melbourne(Tram City!) and I've been their twice and I'm going there for his wedding in a few weeks time. During my last visit to OZ I managed to visit a preserved railway near Hobart and one in Maldon, Victoria. As is usual for Railway enthusiasts they were very friendly.
after the wedding I hope to visit some other preseved railways, any suggestions.
I was suprised to see that the Victorian railways were of 5ft 3in gauge, the Southern Cross Station having a platform with dual gauge ie 5ft 3ins & 4ft 81/2 in
My son says its roasting hot in Melbourne, its -2C at the moment here!
Old 29th January 2010, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff View Post
The railway I think your talking about is the Bush Mill Railway in Port Arthur, Tasmania. It was a narrow guage, 15 inches I think, and it had a replica of the first Beyer-Garratt, which was known as the K1. It closed in 2004 I believe. I've been on it but I don't remember much as I was only 2.
Hi Puff.Just found a leaflet on the museum I went to its called The Workshop Rail Museum.North Ipswitch Queensland.The only thing in steam that day was a traction engine .Had a guided tour of the workshops had some fine locos there but the Garratt ooh what a beut.
Regards Paul.
Old 31st January 2010, 18:40

What about some suggestions on visiying preserved railways in Victoria. Need to know as wife and children are organising trips to non railway locations.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8001 View Post
What about some suggestions on visiying preserved railways in Victoria. Need to know as wife and children are organising trips to non railway locations.
The Puffing Billy railway is probably your best bet. Its a very popular narrow guage railway just outside Melbourne in the Dandenong Ranges.

Scroll down on this link http://http://www.csse.monash.edu.au...rist/index.xml and you will find a few other decent lines.