18:52

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Trapped woman killed on rail line (BBC News)

Old 28th March 2008, 17:12

Trapped woman killed on rail line (BBC News)

A woman is killed by a train when her foot becomes trapped on a level crossing in an Essex.

More from BBC News...

Old 28th March 2008, 18:39

This must have been absolutely horrific for all concerned. I know the poor woman shouldn't have crossed after the barriers went down but nobody deserves to have that happen to them.
Old 28th March 2008, 20:47

We've all done stupid things - most times you get away with it (and vow to be smarter in future), occasionally it ends in tragedy.

I hope they use it as an example to pedestrians and car drivers that it just isn't worth it.

As you say it must have been horrific.
Old 28th March 2008, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
...............I hope they use it as an example to pedestrians and car drivers that it just isn't worth it...................
I agree Foggy but in all honesty the same thing could have happened even if she had crossed legally. I sometimes wonder if cattle grids are always necessary especially at crossings where there is a lot of pedestrian traffic.
Old 1st April 2008, 23:08

Yesterday morning I took my Partner to Downham Market station to catch the train to Kings Lynn. As hers departed, the up train came in and the Red aspect was showing on the foot crossing, so I stopped as I know best to do. One young man totally ignored the signal and proceeded to cross, so I shouted to him to stop because I could see the train approaching and rather close to the crossing. He said "There's no train coming." and crossed just getting to the other side as the train stopped. Had I been the train driver, I would have sounded the horn and regardless of the passengers waiting on the platform. After this train departed and we got the Green to cross, the young man in question stood waiting for somebody to pick him up, so he never gained anything from the crossing before the train stopped and I still left the station before him. Next time, it just might be the sand train approaching?

After that Incident at Colchester last week, I would have thought he would have had more sense than to cross just because it was slowing down to stop. Had it been the sand train and not a passenger train, he might well not be here now. Even so, the electric units are as we all know, a Silent Killer.
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:36

The same happened a few years back, two girls (both about 16 apparently) saw their train on the platform, heard the crossing bleeping of the level crossing and, thinking their train was leaving ran across (like it would have made a difference anyway) and got hit by another train. pretty sure that was in East Anglia too.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:14

Yes, level crossings if not treated with respect are dangerous! It is possible that had this poor lady got trapped when she was allowed to cross the trains may have been stopped in time. I crossed the line at Church Stretton while a 153 was stopped at the station about 200m away. We were surprised at how quickley it got to the crossing!
Richard
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard thompson View Post
Yes, level crossings if not treated with respect are dangerous! It is possible that had this poor lady got trapped when she was allowed to cross the trains may have been stopped in time. I crossed the line at Church Stretton while a 153 was stopped at the station about 200m away. We were surprised at how quickley it got to the crossing!
Richard
That very much depends on two things

1) Who controls the crossing
2) How alert they are

A CCTV controlled crossing in an area where the signaller has lots to do *may* be more open to accidents, not because of the signaller, but because there is too much to regulate.

Old 2nd April 2008, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
The same happened a few years back, two girls (both about 16 apparently) saw their train on the platform, heard the crossing bleeping of the level crossing and, thinking their train was leaving ran across (like it would have made a difference anyway) and got hit by another train. pretty sure that was in East Anglia too.
Elsenham, Essex on Cambridge to Liverpool Street line and one time West Anglia, don't know who now so will find out on Saturday when I go just to Shelford for the Cambridge Model Railway Exhibition.
Old 4th April 2008, 11:46

A man has been charged with manslaughter