15:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Manchester central reopening?

Old 22nd February 2010, 18:18

The point is SFE, as much as I agree that it would be nice for trains to return to Manchester Central its not going to happen without any prior notification advertisng and related planning permissions, plus the problem of the money spininning GMEX.

A more useful re-opening (highly unlikely due to the attentions of propety developers) would be Mayfield which could relive a lot of the congestion at Piccadilly Station.........

Old 22nd February 2010, 19:29

I doubt that Mayfield will be demolished. It is a labour governement proposal and they are hardly the most popular people round at the moment. To destroy that station would be stupid.
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:33

But propery development and money earns money, I doubt a Labour, Tory or Liberal Goverment would make any difference
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:25

Im starting to think any work done on the viaduct is probably just to keep it in good repair.
Old 25th February 2010, 19:35

There was a planning app by the owners of the Viaduct saying that 2010 it would be cleaned up and made safe and in 2013 their would be a refubishment, but it didnt say what the refurbishment was for. It spossible it could be some form of green pedestrian bridge like they do in NY as part of some office/residential development.

Cornbrook is going to have a 3rd metrolink line running on it from around Gmex to the city centre.
Old 25th February 2010, 22:32

the new tram depot opens at old trafford in next 2 years,so as well as empty stock,there will be trams running to chorlton and media city,smedley viaduct is also being re ballasted[near queens road tram depot]to allow for oldham/rochdale trams to run,they will be heading through g-mex to the depot as well as the trams from droylsden,maybe this is whats happening?as far as mayfield being pulled down-ive read that national express wanted to use the site as a bus coach rail interchange,whether this will happen tho is another story,think its an ugly building,but is very close to piccadilly and cant understand why it isnt used to relieve congestion at piccadilly,good news tho that the northern hub will link all manchester termini with the ordsall chord allowing transpennine trains to go from victoria and piccadilly to the airport liverpool etc.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:35

Mayfield is certainkly going ahead under Labour and probably under Torys too *since its a cost saving plan) They left space in the design in anticipation of Manchester Hub report reccomending extra Pic through platforms.

http://i47.tinypic.com/33ehira.jpg
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Mayfield is certainkly going ahead under Labour and probably under Torys too *since its a cost saving plan) They left space in the design in anticipation of Manchester Hub report reccomending extra Pic through platforms.

http://i47.tinypic.com/33ehira.jpg
I read about the expansion of 'the junction' platforms in Rail, Despite me wanting to see Mayfield utilized, 2 extra through platforms will be more benificial and allow slightly more flexibilty with the 'Manchester Hub' proposals. The new offices will probably generate more passengers and the redevelopment of Fairfield street will clean up the area and get rid of the Drug Dealers and Prostituites which plague the street.
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:52

I hope someone saves the Mayfield canopy then.
I wish I could find the money for all these things i wish to pay for, but at the end of the day I wan't to save nearly everything and build what is not there, so I'm close to broke!
The ELR raised £50,000 in a week, so nothing is impossible.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
The ELR raised £50,000 in a week, so nothing is impossible.
SFE, I can assure you they did'nt raise that sum in a week, donations are still more than very welcome.

Cheers John