15:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Track at Bury Bolton Street

Old 19th August 2008, 19:07

Quote:
....although I have seen worse at Manchester Piccadilly.
Do you remember where that is? I'd like to have a look when I'm next there, just out of curisoity.

This steam shortage seems to be slowly turning into a depression - especially considering the 9F has gone now too - hope it gets sorted soon. Do you guys have any plans yet? It would be nice to have some more steam locos at the ELR permanently.

Last edited by Deathbyteacup; 19th August 2008 at 19:09.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:02

I believe that the steam department is pressing on with the overall of the Crab. Ian Riley's new Black 5 and also 45337 can't be too far off I don't suppose. And dare I mention the Standard 4? The situation will sort itself out as we go into winter though, then the mainline engines based on the line won't be in such high demand elsewhere.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:53

Thanks for that Adam, I'll let you know how we get on

Pete
Old 21st August 2008, 22:48

Dipping Track

If you want to see an example of severely dipping track, I'd suggest a visit to Warrington Bank Quay.

Where northbound trains meet the bridge over the Arpley-Ditton line (this is under the platforms and runs somewhat diagonally, so you'll have to look carefully to see it until a train goes over) the track always used to drop by what looked like several inches, especially when fast freight went over at speed.

On several occasions I was convinced something would derail, yet regular drivers who must be aware of it make no effort to slow for it, so I'm assuming its considered to be within safe parameters.

DeeMersey.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
Do you remember where that is? I'd like to have a look when I'm next there, just out of curisoity.
At the far end of platform 8 is a good example. Just Watch when a pendolino goes over it!

As for this weekend. Locos will be: Jinty on a set of 4, tailed by the class 40 on sunday with the diner. The Hymek and 37901 will be on the other 2 sets. People better enjoy them, I spent a while on Weds shunting things around trying to dig the 37 out of a stack of locos.
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:05

I'll pop down and enjoy the 37 if it makes you feel better.
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:31
Station Manager

My mate Chris from York will be driving the Hymek, so I will be at Rawtenstall for a quck natter with him. I went to Bury today on the DMU with one of my grandsons and noticed 50015 Valiant, I did`nt know it was there have you had it there a while Mark ? she looked well. All the best.
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:54

50015 has been around for years, just in a state down the sidings, was recently refurbished and has been running since the middle of the Santa specials last year. Would it be Chris Short on the Hymek by any chance, I know he's around and has been all week, was shunting with him and Chris Guntripp on Wednesday.

Bit of news i'm hearing, but this is a BIG if.... If 71000 DoG is fixed in time, and has a successful test run on Saturday. It may be turned out on service trains on Sunday on Monday. Once again this is a BIG If and Maybe!
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:50
Station Manager

Hello Mark yes it is Chris Short, he is a radio ham like me and we have known each other for many years now. Thanks for the info on 50015. Do you mean that the Duke will be running on the ELR Sunday and Monday ? That would be good if it is.
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:12

I know that it's still only a maybe, but I'd love to see the Duke out and about this weekend, I've still never been a ticket inspector behind it, the only East Lancs regular I've not done.