20:40

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Can anyone identify these stations please?

Old 1st September 2011, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
Ah yes, Chesterfield tunnel. The southern portal is still visible, even if surrounded by massive concrete walls beside the "new" road. I attach a (slightly faded) photo of it which I took around 1972. The actual tunel portal has a standard rounded top which I assume was always hidden by the road (now demolished at that point) shown in the photo. On a recent visit to Chesterfield I had trouble establishing exactly where the northern portal used to be. Armed with a reasonably accurate GPS and old large scale map, the position would perhaps seem to be almost over where the new road is now but I'm not sure. There is a big square concrete block beside the road, visible even on Google Earth, which evidently gives access to the tunnel but whether it's exactly over the portal or they cut just into the tunnel, I don't know.

Now you've got me I think your photo is the North portal and the big concrete square you mention is the old tunnel mouth blocked off

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 1st September 2011, 22:31

If you look on Google street view, junction of Hollis Lane and Dixons road I reckon it's behind the gates at the back of that red LandRover. As a guide the Twisted Spire is visable at the right sort of distance and angle.

Regards, 62440.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:39

It is indeed the south portal - and here is a photo of the north portal I took in 1969. I think it's true to say that nothing you see in this photo still exists today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chesterfield tunnel N portal.jpg (103.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:23

OK
Apologies I just didn't recognise it now I've RE-READ the post I didn't realise that the bridge obscured the tunnel mouth as it was before I went to Chesterfield daily to school - William Rhodes Technical

Oh well gone are the days of sitting on the wall at the cattle dock at the end of Platform 1

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 8th September 2011, 08:48

I think the mystery may be solved

Last week I was in Derbyshire and I'm fairly sure I've identified picture 2 as the old Ilkeston Junction station (on the MML). Part of the building is still there, used as a Peugeot breakers yard. It's lost its roof, the main house seems to have disappeared and the building has had bits put on the front of it but I reckon that's the station in the photo.
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:44

The old Ilkeston Town Station was at the bottom of bath st now were the Tesco Super Market site is plus the car park was the goods sheds but before that Midland Bus Depot was on site there.
Ilkeston North (what was now closed) Ilkeston Police Station with a Doctors Surgery and a Chemist,the Only thing that remains is the road bridge that went over the tracks.
As the tracks led towards derby Friargate via West Hallam
The otherside of the bridge was Domestic Industrial Pressings and the track through the land going over were now are housing estates and eventually went over Bennerley Viaduct which still stands to this day. hope it helps? pics:http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/15955

Last edited by galatea; 20th October 2012 at 00:43.
Old 6th October 2012, 18:44

The third one is as others have said Alfreton and South Normanton. The buildings were demolished and Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway was built on the same site. I believe that it's now just Alfreton since the reopening of Mansfield on the Robin Hood line. I used to spend many happy hours on the overbridge from which the photo was taken back in the 1960s! Happy days !
Alan
Old 20th October 2012, 00:51

Ilkeston Town Railway station not Ilkeston Victoria

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...kestonTown.jpg

Ilkeston Town railway station was a railway station which served the town of Ilkeston in Derbyshire, England. it was opened in 1847 by the Midland Railway on a short branch from the Erewash Valley Line.

The original station was closed in May 1870 but remodelled in response to the arrival of the Great Northern Railway (Great Britain) Derbyshire Extension line through its station later known as Ilkeston North. Ilkeston Town Station re-opened on 1 July 1879.

It carried a shuttle service from Ilkeston Junction which was never particularly popular since the GNR provided a direct main line service.[2] Some services were also provided to Nottingham and Chesterfield [3] From 1882 the former were routed along the Bennerley Junction route to Basford, with six services a day, but the they ended at the beginning of the First World War.[4]

In the Grouping of all lines (into four main companies) in 1923 the station became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway .

The branch had closed to passengers by the late 1940s and goods operations had ceased by 1960. The tracks were lifted and the footbridge removed. The site is now occupied by a roundabout at the end of Ilkeston's Chalons Way by-pass and a large Tesco supermarket. The route of the track roughly followed the recently built road named 'Millership Way'.

Last edited by galatea; 20th October 2012 at 00:58. Reason: more info