11:11

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

So, what got you interested in railways?

Old 11th November 2007, 21:22

I have loved trains for as long as I can remember, I lived in Birmingham and had an Uncle that was a Trainspotter, I got my first Ian Allan Train Ref at the age of six.

My Mum and Dad were great and gave me a lot of encouragement by taking me to Tamworth on the main LMS north line to get train numbers, its very hard to describe to Aussies over here the feeling of seeing a crack express pulled by a Coronation Class loco at about 100mph, most of our Aussie trains were speed restricted to about 60mph, (still are).

I lived close to a main LMS line near Bromsgraove, spent most of my spare time sitting beside the line collecting numbers, even used to buy a packet of fags and wag school so I could go down to the track.

First model layout was a Hornby OO 3 rail Dutchess of Atholl set, age 10.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~oldshutterbug
Old 1st December 2007, 22:31

what got me intrested in railway was by becoming instred in steam
Old 4th December 2007, 13:53

Well actually it was a little special in my case. After making some family research I found out that I was a distant heir of Huntingdon Beaumont. I'm sure many of you know who this is but for those who don't he's the "inventor" of the railway.

I guess you could say my family was a part of the evolution of railway

Nice to meet you all
Old 5th December 2007, 21:19

My Aunt taking me to Newark & Mansfield from Nottingham by train in the mid 50s
But what really kicked it off was going to Par(Cornwall) from Nottingham in 1959.
We went all over Cornwall that year by train and of course it was all steam.
Old 6th December 2007, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblewrap View Post
But what really kicked it off was going to Par(Cornwall) from Nottingham in 1959.
We went all over Cornwall that year by train and of course it was all steam.
In 1963 my family went on the overnight special from Hull Paragon to Paignton in Devon for a weeks holiday. I'd have been nearly 7 years old at the time, and it's my lasting regret that I wasn't interested in railways at all at that age. Imagine the memories I could've had now to look back on!
Old 9th December 2007, 02:35

Angry

Reminds me of family fortunes,they were asked(someone who has a dirty job).
Not one mentioned a coal miner,footballer yes.Sign of the times I suppose.
Kenny.
Old 28th January 2008, 20:56

I can't say I was bothered about railways at all when I was a kid, though I did have a small Hornby train set that had a circle of track and a 3 car DMU in BR blue, but I broke that by leaving it on the fireguard in front of the fire and the wheels melted.

Years later I was told to write an essay on something to do with local history, so I plumped for finding out about the railway that ran along the bottom of the school field which was the line from Middlesbrough to Whitby. I read several books on the subject and from then on I was hooked on all things railway.
Old 29th January 2008, 00:39

I was born and brought up in a row of colliery houses on Tyneside surrounded by railways. At the bottom of the street was a four track(2 BR, 2 NCB) main line to the docks carrying coal traffic. At the bottom of the garden was a passenger line where Gresley EMU's clanked around (and later took me to school daily). About a couple of hundred yards past the other end of the street was another colliery railway to the docks which lead from the colliery where my dad worked (and knew the loco drivers). I later spent many happy hours illicitly on the footplate....I didn't stand a chance really
Two early memories.
Firstly, for a number of weekend nights the east coast main line was diverted past my bedroom window due to a Bridge replacement. The traffic used the steep curve between the coast pasenger line and the four track line and I lay in bed at night listening to the sound of heavy trains being thrashed up the curve. What the Loco's were I never knew. I couldn't see in the dark.
Secondly on the coal line to the docks there was a procession of trains up three or four miles of bank. They were nearly always a J27 and 20 x 25 ton hoppers. One day when I was about 9 yrs old the signalman at the nearby level crossing said "Come back in half an hour and you'll see something unusual" A J27 had failed and a collier was due to sail. The hoppers from the three trains were coupled up and double headed by two J27s. 60 hoppers and the two J27s came up the bank. Engines full fore and regulator wide and doing all of 4 - 5 mile and hour.
As I said, did not stand a chance of not being an enthusiast

Tony p
Old 29th January 2008, 11:06

Great recollections Tony.
I had an aunty who lived in a house surrounded by railways very much like yours. I loved visiting her but always came home tired after lying awake each night listening to the constant procession of trains.
Old 15th March 2008, 12:45

I think I got interested in railways by curiousity. my parents took me and my bro's and sis to paignton on holiday and I remember my first trip on an hst. we had stopped at newton abbot and the guard announced that we couldn't go any further due to minors. I was quite confused.

Well done for making it past that today!