00:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Furness Steam Engine 115

Old 4th June 2009, 16:14

Furness Steam Engine 115

Hi everybody,
My name is Richard and I own the land where Furness railway loco number 115 disappeared in 1892. It is thought to be between 70 & 90 feet deep after falling into a wash hole and not a mine as most people think. I am currently selling the site and wondered if anybody wants to recover the train before it is covered up for good. I have newspaper article, photos and maps from 1892 but they are all to big to load onto this web site. Any suggestions as to how to get the photos onto the website?

Old 5th June 2009, 09:47

Hi Richard,
Sounds intriguing. Tell us more.
Old 5th June 2009, 22:03

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. To upload photos, go to gallery, then click on upload photos. The files can't be to big though - about 1MB works well.

Tony
Old 6th June 2009, 18:11

I have tried to submit my photos but I think they are all to big as is the newspaper article. I have managed to email my files & photos to my grandaughter without problem via hotmail. If there is enough interest in the story I may set up my own website in the near future entitled Project 115.
Serious enquiries about recovering the engine can be sent to my email:
[email protected]
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:18

In the Stephenson Loco. Society magazine of Feb. 1955 is an article describing how engine 115 was recovered, restored and subsequently handed over to the railway museum in York. This would have been the old museum situated in Queen's street. Could someone enlighten me as to the authenticity of this story, and if true where is this engine now? Cheers Abbotsford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rij21 View Post
Hi everybody,
My name is Richard and I own the land where Furness railway loco number 115 disappeared in 1892. It is thought to be between 70 & 90 feet deep after falling into a wash hole and not a mine as most people think. I am currently selling the site and wondered if anybody wants to recover the train before it is covered up for good. I have newspaper article, photos and maps from 1892 but they are all to big to load onto this web site. Any suggestions as to how to get the photos onto the website?
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:36

Hi Abbotsford. That story as far as I know is total fantasy, there are three preserved Fruness Railway Locos and number 115 is NOT amongst them. No.3 COPPERNOB in the NRM at York, NO.20, the oldest working loco in Britain and possibly the world, and No.25 currently at Carnforth in bits.

There have been quite a few articles in various magazines down the years about No.115 but all have centred on "would it be possible to recover it?", if it had been recovered previously that wouldn't be the case.

Regards, 62440.
Old 4th February 2011, 09:19
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Richard. Sounds like a major dig. Do you know exactly where 115 is buried or would it be a case of doing some exploration first?

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 4th February 2011, 11:18

Hi there!
FTS member

All views/opinions expressed are purely MY OWN and NOT that of any preservation group/organisation I am part of
Old 4th February 2011, 12:30

Furness 20

Hi
Furness 20 is at Shildon and has been for about 3 years, it regularly steams for a ride. It is in first class condition, I must congratulate the lady who regularly dress in Victorian dress and sells memorabilia to help run the loco.
There is an event on at Shildon this weekend so I would not be suppressed to see Furness 20 working
I will put a photograph of it in the Gallery
Old 9th February 2011, 20:13

Having just read this thread, and seeing the piece about FR20m of the Furness Trust and the lady who dresses up and sells things on behalf of the trust, I regret to say that this lady has very sadly passed away about 10 days ago.
She will be very sorely missed by all members of the Furness Trust.

Davat