23:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Makerfield, my 1970s North West UK layout

Old 4th December 2008, 11:05

Hi Pete,
I assume that you are still going to go with colour light signals in readiness for overhead electrification (have you allowed enough clearance under your bridges?) If so, a good starting point would be to determine the length of the longest train you intend running on Makerfield and use this to determine the distance between signals on each of your main tracks. I would say that the signals should be no closer together than 1.5 train lengths but you can obviously make that distance greater if space permits. On the slow(platform) lines I would suggest starting with a signal at the platform ends and working from there. It doesn't really matter where you start to position your signals on the fast lines as there are no visible connections that need signals to protect them. It would just be a case of placing the signals in the most pleasing positions subject to maintaining a suitable distance between them. When we first touched on this subject I suggested possibly having a signal with route indicator controlling entry to the bay platform but I don't think you will need that now as you can imagine that it is just out of sight on the other side of the scenic break bridge. In reality there would also probably be a crossover from one slow line to the other to enable the train from the bay platform to regain it's proper track when departing and that too could be located out of sight on the other side of the bridge.
Just a few suggestions to start the ball rolling.

Last edited by swisstrains; 4th December 2008 at 11:10.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:37

Thanks John, I really appreciate your taking the time to help with this. I was thinking the same thing, ie to start with the signals on the platform ends, and yes I am intending to use colour light signals. Would these just be 3 aspect signals to indicate a clear route ahead? To be honest I haven't even determined which are the up/down lines - it depends in which directions trains run best, there's a particularly troublesome set of points on the inner circuit which is OK as a trailing point but not facing, causes derailments for some reason, so I guess that determines it's the down line, although it really should be up, just because the real location this fictional layout is based on is lodged so firmly in my head, if that makes any sense.... thought not.

http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acata...s_Signals.html

It's the Wigan show next week so I'll probably pick some up from there. The next challenge will be wiring them... not my strong point. Thanks again, I'll report back.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:11

Thats a really cool layout, the buildings and the bridge you built look good actually.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:22

You've well and truly confused me with your point problem and it's effect on the UP and DOWN line Pete
On the West Coast Mainline in the "Makerfield" area the UP lines are the ones which head towards Warrington (and London) and obviously the DOWN lines are the ones going north towards Preston.
As I have already been reprimanded once by the forum Admin for editing another member's picture I have decided to live dangerously and have taken the liberty of superimposing the main signal (4-aspect) positions on a copy of your trackplan. I have also marked the normal running directions for each track but I didn't label them UP and DOWN because although I am assuming that "Makerfield" is south of Wigan I couldn't be sure from reading your thread which way the bay platform faces (north or south). In one of your photos you show some punks waiting to board the stopping service to Liverpool but I didn't know if that was the DMU at Platform 1 or another train that was about to arrive at Platform 2.
Although the plan shows (in my opinion) all the main signals that are needed you will also have to consider how you intend to operate the diesel depot. If locos are to leave the depot and then reverse back through Platform 2 this line will also need to become bi-directional. Movements to/from the diesel depot can be controlled by small subsidiary signals which might be something you could consider at a later date. Another possible problem is the positioning of the signals between the tracks......will you have enough space, allowing for rolling-stock overhang or will they need to be raised up on overhead gantries? Hope this helps.
Makerfield_signals01.JPG

P.S. I forgot to say. I spaced the signals on the assumption that the length of your longest train would be determined by the length of your storage sidings. If your plan is not to scale then you might need to reposition some of them.

Last edited by swisstrains; 4th December 2008 at 16:28.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:52

John that's brilliant, thanks so much for that.
You've got the running directions exactly right as built. The obvious solution for me would be to replace or modify that dodgy point, then operation would be exactly as your diagram. I'm pretty sure I'll just have dummy signals for the diesel depot though, as it's pretty much a static scenic feature, I tend to just like observing trains making circuits. The next layout though.......

re the positioing, I think the ones on the down platforms will need to be on gantries, which in itself will look pretty good I think, so as long as there's room... I EALLY should have thought about signals earlier. schoolboy error!

I'll print that plan out & take it with me, get some advice on best products from the bods at the show next week. Thanks again!

*edit* the bay platform faces south by the way.

Last edited by meurglysIII; 4th December 2008 at 19:53. Reason: self-evident ;-)
Old 4th December 2008, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by meurglysIII View Post
.....................the bay platform faces south by the way.
In that case the storage sidings south of Makerfield actually represent Golborne Junction.......and all points south, east and west.
Old 4th December 2008, 20:57

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
In that case the storage sidings south of Makerfield actually represent Golborne Junction.......and all points south, east and west.
Yeah! Good, ain't it?
Old 30th December 2008, 16:13

progress on the north end....

Gah, typed this once & forgot to post it...

Ah well. I filled some of the space I was bellyaching over, with a garage building. I wanted to do a decent job of the interior as it faces outwards & is at the front of the layout. So I put lamps on the inside & built some lifting ramps & glued cars on top of them. All a bit freelance but I'm happy with it. I think this building is the one I've enjoyed doing the most.

Now, the other side of the footbridge path... a field I think....

(Photos in the model railways gallery

http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...5&limit=recent
http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...4&limit=recent
http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...3&limit=recent
Old 30th December 2008, 16:16

oo, forgot to mention - I've started on the signals! Only the bay platform so far, & it took an evening to wire up... I will post pics when I've done some more. I'm only concerned with the station platforms, can't afford to spend too much on signalling, it doesn't come cheap.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:58

Another fine job Pete. I'm sure you can think of plenty more things to put in the workshops. Look forward to seeing your signals.