22:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Rainhill station, Merseyside

Old 20th September 2008, 23:17

Hi Pete
I remember Leigh station very well,have you seen the Lancashire Triangle books there are photos etc in them.
From 1974 until retiring in 2006 I was a relief signalman and worked in and around Wigan Warrington Liverpool Manchester and even Buxton areas.
I actually started in 1957 at Kenyon Jct No1 signalbox as a junior.
James

Old 20th September 2008, 23:35

Hi Pete
Just been looking at previous posts on the thread re Newton Racecourse station, where the Haydock line crossed Crow Lane there used to be a signalbox which was the subject of an article in one of the local papers probably in the late 1950's or early 1960's with a photo of the signalbox.
James
Old 21st September 2008, 19:58

Yes I'm still trying to locate the exact position of the station at Newton racecourse. I think I've got the vague area in mind, one day when I'm early for work (as if) I'll go & have a proper look. I've got the "Colour of a Lancashire Triangle" book, have seen the pics of Leigh station in that, must get round to buying the other one. Also that book "Mainline railways around Wigan" by Bob Paxton, has some intersting shots in it. He was on "Eggheads" last year too don't you know...

Will you be attending the Leigh Model Railway show next weekend or is it just the full-size railways that interest you?

Cheers
Pete
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:57

Hi Pete
I have a copy of Bob's book.I dont think I will be at the show due other commitments.
James
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:14

Pete
have you tried the Newton Le Willows site re the racecourse station n-le-w.co.uk someone on there may be able to help, I could start a thread on the history forum.
James
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:28

Pete
Re racecourse station if you can access the n-le-w forum I have had two replies, if I new how could pass them on to you. It seems there was no station as such merely a fan of sidings at the end of a branch which left the Haydock line just south of Crow Lane and terminated just short of Common road opposite Swan Road as shown on Resolutions map. Steven Dowd www.steven-dowd.co.uk the website owner sent me a larger copy of the same map which shows a larger area.
James
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:09

Further to the above I believe there is a piece of rail from the site of the station in Newton library apparently donated by Eddie Bellass.

James
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:46

Thanks James, I'll have a peruse of the website you mentioned.

Pete
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:53

Okay, got it. It was marked on one of the maps on the newton site (1845). I'll see what if anything remains in real life.

(map snapshot attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (34.3 KB, 12 views)