15:04

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Climate change and the GWR Mainline.

Old 5th December 2005, 16:08

Question Climate change and the GWR Mainline.

I gather that once again high seas closed the Great Western Railway main line to the South West at Dawlish over the weekend.

Any updates from anyone?

As global warming heats up the oceans the water they contain will expand, let along any extra water coming from melting ice caps and this must put the line at more frequent risk of flooding.
How easy would it be to open up the old LSWR route via Okehampton and Tavistock to Plymouth?

Old 10th December 2005, 19:43

Whell the rising sea level is supposed to be one result of global warming, but dont forget that Britain is also rising because it is still recovering from the weight of ice from the last ice age. I think Britain is also tilting with the west coast rising faster then the east coast.

This give me an idea for a new post....
Old 10th December 2005, 19:48

To move the line inland will potentially cost Billions - certainly a lot more than it costs NR to maintain the sea wall. It's also a very scenic stretch of line - would be a shame to lose it.
Old 10th December 2005, 19:52

I recon a possible soloution would be to raise the sea wall, or if things get that bad, put the railway completely under cover. It's a bit drastic but much cheaper than moving it inland. Trains would also be able to run through storms.

Sam
Old 10th December 2005, 19:54

You wouldn't think sea water woukld affect plastic so badly
Old 12th December 2005, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
Whell the rising sea level is supposed to be one result of global warming, but dont forget that Britain is also rising because it is still recovering from the weight of ice from the last ice age. I think Britain is also tilting with the west coast rising faster then the east coast.
It's called 'isostatic uplift'. The north and west is rising, while the south and east sinks.......and I live in Hull (gulp!). Anyone got a cheap inflatable that will house me, my wife, the kids and the cats and the dog while still giving room for an 'N' gauge layout? Or a design for a floating baseboard?
Old 12th February 2010, 20:31

5 years on and the trains are still getting a splash of salt water on a seasonal basis.
How much info has changed or been re-invented since they first cast global warming on the world's populous. Excessive rainful and flooding seems to have caused the Seven Valley Railway huge problems lately and that is likely to mean similar problems for other Heritage Railways where rivers and flooding are prevalent.
Old 12th February 2010, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
5 years on and the trains are still getting a splash of salt water on a seasonal basis.
How much info has changed or been re-invented since they first cast global warming on the world's populous. Excessive rainful and flooding seems to have caused the Seven Valley Railway huge problems lately and that is likely to mean similar problems for other Heritage Railways where rivers and flooding are prevalent.
It's all tosh, as will hopefully be revealed as the East Anglian University inquiry gets under way.
Old 12th February 2010, 20:48

I think money is the root of all evil!!
Old 12th February 2010, 20:54

The line there has always been battered by the sea ever since it was built by Brunel no matter what you do you will never stop it.
I myself have been through there many times with sea coming over and believe me it isnt a very nice experience, they do have single line working over the up line when it gets really bad.
As for going inland there has been talk about it many times, there is an old line from Heathfield Newton Abbot to City Basin Exeter closed in 1968 link below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/devon/hi...00/8370729.stm

ccmmick.