18:12

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

(Mis) Guided busway prep work starts

Old 31st December 2006, 19:23

(Mis) Guided busway prep work starts

The prep works for the construction of the guided bus system between Cambridge and St Ives seems to have started. Workers have moved onto a site at Longstanton ready for construction to commence.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...e9cc37c797.lpf

Thats another piece of rail route that seems to have gone forever.

Cheers

James

Old 31st December 2006, 20:36

Hi James,
Until I started reading the Xmas book entitled Branch Lines Around Huntingdon, Kettering to Cambridge I did not realise just how complex the system had been. Not having moved up to Sawtry from East Hertfordshire until 1973 it was all foreign country to me. There was still some track West of Huntingdon that could be seen and the trackbed is still there away from the A1 towards Grafham along with the odd bridge over a country road.
East of St. Ives track can still be seen in the undergrowth and I seem to remember that it was to have been cleared for a survey some years ago with a view to the link being restored I believe as far as Huntingdon. This was proposed by the rail authority but just before they started the project seemed to have been dropped, some years later it was not thought to be a viable proposition and lo and behold the dreaded guided bus appeared on the scene sponsored it seems by the government with the bribe of upgrading the A14 to get council acceptance. All the experts (?) agreed that it is a good idea but the man that thought up the system was ignored when he declared it to be impractible.
As might be slightly obvious I do not think much of the idea especially as it will cost me money and I'll never use it and as you said will lead to the loss of yet another piece of the rail system that can never be re-used again.
The news that work has started, although I was not aware that it had finally been authorised has spoilt my New Year's Eve and I'll need something stronger than tea to help me over it.
John
Old 1st January 2007, 14:12
Registered Member

Hi James very interesting reading this bit is very true. Alan Locojoe.

"Instead of reinstating a crucial part of the national network for passengers and freight, rails that have been in place for over 150 years are being ripped up to be replaced by an unproven scheme involving 70 acres of unwanted and environmentally-disastrous concrete, obstructing byways, wrecking wildlife habitats - and running from nowhere to nowhere."
Old 1st January 2007, 16:24

Guided Bus

It really makes me wonder what planet the DfT are living on with hairbrained schemes like this, of course as well they also gave the thumbs up to convert the abandoned Luton - Dunstable line into a guided busway.

Apparently as well, theres yet another guided bus scheme proposed in my area too to link Nuneaton, Bedworth, Coventy and Kenilworth

http://www.sprint-there.co.uk/

Cheers

James