17:35

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Virtual Railways

Simulator "Railworks"

Old 19th October 2011, 21:40

Simulator "Railworks"

I purchased this PC/DVD Simulator today as it was on special offer. I think it was originally in English but has been translated to Spanish (I live in Spain and can get by on Spanish).It has routes Bristol-Templecombe,York-Newcastle and Oxford-Paddington as well as an American journey from Denver and an Alpine route.
It is distributed by www.friendware.es

My problem is when I entered the disc to install the message came up "Railworks" and "Technical Support". I clicked on Railworks and a site called "Steam" (from a company called Valve?) was installed and said I had to open an account to proceed. This was free but after I registered and opened the site Steam is an online shop for selling computer games.
There appears to be no connection with Railworks therefore I could not start the simulator.
I uninstalled Steam and attempted a second time to install Railworks.This time I got the site but I had to give a code which I had not found and therefore had to quit the site.
I have found the code (I think) but now each time I try to enter Railworks I am directed to the Steam site.
Has anyone got this simulator or can anyone advise if I am doing something wrong or what the problem might be?
Many Thanks for any advice/help.

Old 20th October 2011, 11:29

Hi there Jamtart & welcome to the forum.

Even though the website was offering other games to buy, the Steam arrangement is possibly genuine. It's a system for online gaming with other players, so you usually have to register with the website to unlock the game.

Once you've set up an account and created a password you can usually configure the settings so that it runs run without ever having to be online again.

I used to play a game called Half Life, which did this.

But as always, make sure your Antivirus is good - I use Avast which is free and excellent, but there are others.

Good luck

Last edited by Flying Pig; 20th October 2011 at 11:32.
Old 20th October 2011, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamtart98 View Post
I purchased this PC/DVD Simulator today as it was on special offer. I think it was originally in English but has been translated to Spanish (I live in Spain and can get by on Spanish).It has routes Bristol-Templecombe,York-Newcastle and Oxford-Paddington as well as an American journey from Denver and an Alpine route.
It is distributed by www.friendware.es

My problem is when I entered the disc to install the message came up "Railworks" and "Technical Support". I clicked on Railworks and a site called "Steam" (from a company called Valve?) was installed and said I had to open an account to proceed. This was free but after I registered and opened the site Steam is an online shop for selling computer games.
There appears to be no connection with Railworks therefore I could not start the simulator.
I uninstalled Steam and attempted a second time to install Railworks.This time I got the site but I had to give a code which I had not found and therefore had to quit the site.
I have found the code (I think) but now each time I try to enter Railworks I am directed to the Steam site.
Has anyone got this simulator or can anyone advise if I am doing something wrong or what the problem might be?
Many Thanks for any advice/help.
i had railworks for 2 year ran ok had a problem with laptop took it back to factory con it willnot reload railworks2 dvd keeps saying unkown file cannot workit out can not take it back hadit too long
Old 21st October 2011, 06:23

The Steam site handles all downloadable content and updates for Railworks.
You need it on your computer for Railworks to work correctly as far as I can see. I have had the game since it came out, always being updated automatically by the Steam site. Not sure about playing offline as I have always played online. There are currently patches being applied to sort out the problems with the latest upgrade to Rail Simulator2012. Hope this helps.
Mike.
Old 28th October 2011, 15:16

I strongly recommend to all those who want to purchase Railworks that you sort out Steam beforehand.

Install the free version of Steam before you attain the game. Then, when you install Railworks, you will be able to use your existing Steam account and no extra downloads will be necessary.