02:18

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Bristol Temple Meads

Old 1st June 2010, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
Out of interest I've just looked at the plan on the National Rail Enquiries site.

Has the station changed since I used to use it? I cant see any subways.
IIRC, the station was renovated again, back in the early '90s.

Nowadays there's just the one subway (that I noticed anyway) and it connects all of the platforms together and also contains retail outlets and the toilets (which still somehow managed to maintain a mild atmosphere of seediness), although as I say I certainly didn't hang around.

The other recent changes I immediately noticed though were the segregation of the subway steps into two halves, with one side being "up-only" and one side being "down only", which was enforced with railings and newish signs all over the place. However, this was generally ignored with many passengers walking the "wrong" way.

Other big change from my point of view was that the concrete footbridge spanning Temple Gate, outside the station approach had been dismantled with improved traffic signalling for pedestrians to cross the busy road at street level instead. To be honest, it does look better without the bridge which was a bit of an eyesore.

Where the bridge connected to a building though, it now looks a little untidy. I thought they might have filled it in or something, but it's just been left as if it was "chopped" off.

I took a quick snap of it here:- http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...l/DSC05875.jpg

Last edited by Green Lane; 1st June 2010 at 19:14.
Old 1st June 2010, 19:36
Station Manager

Behind the building was a multi-story car park, and the footbridge gave access to the car park as well as to crossing the road.
Were you able to go into the old Broad Gauge station? There are often swap meets in there and the rooms are let out for functions as well.
Here is a photo of one of the functions that I went to in the old station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Millennium Party Time (36).jpg (124.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 3rd June 2010, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
Behind the building was a multi-story car park, and the footbridge gave access to the car park as well as to crossing the road.
Were you able to go into the old Broad Gauge station? There are often swap meets in there and the rooms are let out for functions as well.
Here is a photo of one of the functions that I went to in the old station.
No, alas I've never been in to the old Broad Gauge station, I should make a point of seeing it next time I'm there though. Certainly should be worth seeing.