05:51

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

What Do We Think Of The National Express Livery ?

Old 18th March 2009, 20:55
berwickspotter

What Do We Think Of The National Express Livery ?

what do you fellow forum readers think of the national express livery
i think it could have been better its to light in colour.
i still like the dark gner livery

Old 18th March 2009, 21:24

I agree, Ive not travelled with NXEC ever since they started but I really liked the 'pride' that came with GNER.
Old 19th March 2009, 19:31
Station Manager

A disaster! Might look good on a bus ....... might!

Have to admit that the GNER Blue was one of my favourite privatisation liveries!

Best wioshes,

John.
Old 19th March 2009, 21:12

I fear that many of the trains these days are turning into major corporate slogans with these liveries (e.g. EMT, FGW reaching as far as the seats!) MML was another favourite of mine in terms of livery, but XC look pretty good.
Old 19th March 2009, 22:21
Station Manager

I think it is a total 100% insult to the railways to have good trains running in such a disgracefull paint job. They should have left them in the good old GNER livery and put their logo on.
Old 5th April 2009, 17:57

Got to agree. The NXEC livery looks totally anonymous, as well as resembling the EMT colour scheme.
The GNER scheme harked back to the original pre-nationalisation GNE livery, but I never liked the pinky-red lumenescent (is that how you spell it?) stripe along the full length of the train. It was an eyesore! NXEC, as a temporary measure, put white tape over the pinky-red which (I have to say) improved it slightly. Despite that, I think the GNER blue would have looked better if it was a fraction paler, tending towards a Royal Blue rather than the Dark Blue it was.
Old 6th April 2009, 08:49

The issue of corporate advertising is at the heart of the Railway's problem. I've always said that the route name should feature in large letters - and remain fixed forever. The franchise holder's name should be in a far smaller font. When a franchise changes there should be no need to spend millions on uniforms and train vinyls as they belong to the route. All that has to be done is put a little sticker over the outgoing fanchisee's name. Eg;

First Great Western

National Express East Coast

To get back on thread about colours, it is of course highly subjective. I personally love a dark blue...so GNER's old livery of Dark Blue with a Red stripe worked for me. As did Thameslink's Dark Blue & Gold.

Ho hum, nostalgia's not what it used to be.
Old 7th April 2009, 14:50

Well, I know its easy to but don't think that I like it more that GNER. (I just didnt photograph trains back then so I had to use one in NXEC livery) I think the 91s looked great in GNER but the 43s werent so good. However having seen 91111 a few times (the only 91 in NXEC livery so far) I think it looks pretty good too.
I like what NXEC have done with their carriages, that black on the windows looks nice, the GNER blue blended in with the windows too well so the train looked all one colour. I will miss the 'route of the flying scotsman' plaques though.
Old 7th April 2009, 16:56
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Smile

ive got to agree with the others,'GNER'livery was carrying pride with it and didnt seem a showy offy company either to me,but as for NXEC livery it looks to showy offy and dosnt carry the pride of the GNER,i also prefer GNER!
Old 7th April 2009, 19:31
berwickspotter

I have also got to agree with never let a bloody bus company run a railway