23:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Beware the X'Trapolis low note hooter

Old 19th October 2019, 04:51

Beware the X'Trapolis low note hooter

G'day,
BEWARE the X'Trapolis emu Low Note Hooter.
Our Mexico does entertain us with some interesting rail incidents.
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...r/ro-2018-019/
As a result of a wiring error, the hogger thumping the low note hooter caused a two set train to separate in traffic.
One might imagine the tailgunner yelling; OI, hogger wait for me.
I have had a fiddle with the Scharfenberg coupling system on our Tangarbage emu sets a couple of times.
They could be irritating when either not connecting correctly or disengaging correctly.
The hoggers complaining that you could do a back injury if tugging strenuously on the emergency uncouple rip-cord.
But, I don't recall any incident where a smog hollow Tangarbage two set train separated in traffic.
Other than the Tangarbage two set job that went bush at North Strathfield.
It had hit a turnout rather rapidly.
It separated all over the place.
Our Tangarbages were actually built here, unlike many modern dingi which are assembled from imported parts.
I do recollect squizzing one of our V set interurbans that had accidentally separated in traffic many moons ago.
Them V setters being auto-knuckle coupled.
Apparently the draftgear murray key had broken permitting the coupler shank to exit from the socket.
The four car V set was screaming west on the four track "speedway" when it came apart.
I had first espied the tailgunner protecting the rear of his two cars, and then a very big gap til the front two cars.
I was in the cab of a freighter rattling west on the adjacent track before the days of incab radio communication.
I don't know just how long it took to resolve the situation.
No doubt that the cattle would have had to been walked along the track to the nearest station.
And, then an attempt made to clear the two segments from the section.
I did though suffer hooter problems while toiling in Tassiemania.
A DQ class G22C ear ache thing had been booked for days having a fault with the hooter button.
Thump the hooter button too hard or long and the thing copped a Vigilance penalty.
I was working the prestigious southbound paper train 31 and suffering this dilemma when hitting the hooter.
Even just a light tap of the button could cause the problem if tapping it too soon.
The level crossing whistle code down there being TWO blasts of the hooter.
Being DOO (driver only operation) a vigo penalty alarm was transmitted to Train Control over the radio.
This alarm would interrupt any radio transmission until the alarm ceased when the vigo penalty reset.
And TC had to respond to each and every alarm in case that such was the real deal, and the hogger had gone to sleep.
Plus, the train brakes would drag each time due to the partial emergency air dump.
Not blow the hooter for a level crossing and snot some motorist, then management would get aggro.
TC was fed up with the vigo alarms by the time that I arrived with the train.
The loco then becoming a trailing unit for the northbound return.
Well, as I commented to TC each time that the problem occurred, they shoulda fixed the mongrel thing.
But, motive power was limited and units could not be taken out of service without affecting train running.
So, To hit the hooter button, or to NOT hit the hooter button, that is the question.
Steve.