11:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Thats the way to do it.....

Old 21st May 2007, 18:18

Thats the way to do it.....

Maybe I have even beaten RF News to this one:-

“If passengers complained as their train ground to a halt, there was worse to come – the driver asked them to get out and push. Hundreds of travellers took half an hour to push the train 12ft to overheard wires in the Indian state of Bihar. It had stalled on a short piece of track where there were no wires.”
The Sunday Times - News Review May 20 2007.

I had to read it carefully to make sure it wasnt the UK. But then I realised that if it had happened here, all the passengers would have been left on the train for at least four hours, before being taken by bus to be dumped at another station miles away.

Good for Indian Railways.

I am just trying to remember where I read something similar about when old Southern Electric trains were "gapped", they would carefully bring up the following train behind it to give it a push.

Last edited by Shed Cat; 21st May 2007 at 18:27.
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:26
Registered Member

Hi Shed Cat I read this bit about the incident.

In so many years of service in the railways, I have never come across such a bizarre incident," Deepak Kumar Jha, a spokesman for Indian Railways, told the Reuters news agency.
Officials say the extraordinary display of passenger power occurred on Tuesday in the eastern state of Bihar after a passenger pulled the train's emergency chain, bringing it to a halt in a "neutral zone".
This is a short length of track where there is no power in the overhead wires.
Correspondents say that a train's momentum usually allows it to continue moving through neutral zones.
Alan Locojoe