00:41

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Cycle Routes and Railways

Old 29th May 2012, 22:27

Arrow Cycle Routes and Railways

In 2009 I decided to cycle north from Bristol on Route 41 to Gloucester. Saw Severn Beach stations and sight of sidings at Sharpness.
!n 2010 continued on to Worcester on Route 45 returning via Evesham and on Gloucs Warwick heritge line pushed by 4-6-0 7903.
Last year I continued on Route 45 to Bridgnorth via Stourport and followed path of line west from Bewdley through Wyre Forest. Later called at Arly, Highley and Hampton Loade and pulled by 92212 when took train on return.
Last week did stage four from Bridgnorth to LLangollen hauled by 42968 to Bridgnorth. Route 45 uses route ot former GWR line from Bridgnorth to Ironbridge from where I went to Shrewsbury. Next day on to Oswestry and former works of Cambrian railway and after a night at Chursk took canal bank to Llangollen. Pulled by exGWR tank 5199 to Carrog. Cycled in all about 330 miles. Wonder if any other enthusiasts have linked cycle routes with their railway interest. Let us know.

Old 30th May 2012, 15:41

Sounds like quite an achievment if you ask me and a great way to follow your hobby! I love to cycle but have never tought of doing that. I will now get my maps out to see what is available round Derby area. I usually follow the canals as I love the wildlife on them.
Thanks for that Christopher.
All the best
Phil
Old 30th May 2012, 21:12

Many thanks Phil for your comments. I didn't include the return south via SVR where I was pulled by 7812. I am thankful to the guard for leaving Bewdley two mins early to ensure my connection at Kidderminster then three more trains back to Exeter. if you want to find more about cycle routes around Derby which seems to be well covered find www.sustrans.co.uk and find map of the national routes. For example Route 54 runs south west to Burton, Route 6 passes through Derby from south to east. Trent used to be an interesting station. I don't know what has become of the site. Keep fit too....
Old 31st May 2012, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Dent View Post
Many thanks Phil for your comments. I didn't include the return south via SVR where I was pulled by 7812. I am thankful to the guard for leaving Bewdley two mins early to ensure my connection at Kidderminster then three more trains back to Exeter. if you want to find more about cycle routes around Derby which seems to be well covered find www.sustrans.co.uk and find map of the national routes. For example Route 54 runs south west to Burton, Route 6 passes through Derby from south to east. Trent used to be an interesting station. I don't know what has become of the site. Keep fit too....
Thanks for the link. looks interesting. I will let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Phil
Old 6th June 2012, 18:18

Here is one from my local area

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ron.strutt/rrcor2.html

Probably the prettiest bridge on the line but you would have to make a slight diversion to view it

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/485616

Looking forward to this being a reality

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tun...evonshire.html

updates here
http://www.twotunnels.org.uk/index.html

Last edited by 33011; 6th June 2012 at 18:21.
Old 7th June 2012, 20:26

Thank you 33011 for your contribution and the interestinng web sites you gave. I found the one on tunnels most interesting. I have a form with details of Castleman's corkskrew and have made a note to make the Exeter-Wareham journey perhpas next year to cycle the corkskrew. Will have to be carefull where I put my tyres!
Old 9th June 2012, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Dent View Post
Thank you 33011 for your contribution and the interestinng web sites you gave. I found the one on tunnels most interesting. I have a form with details of Castleman's corkskrew and have made a note to make the Exeter-Wareham journey perhpas next year to cycle the corkskrew. Will have to be carefull where I put my tyres!
Yeah i know what you mean i.e tyres lol
Old 13th August 2012, 20:16

An update on the S&D Two Tunnels trailway if anyone is interested

http://two-tunnels-bath.blogspot.co....s-tunnels.html
Old 13th September 2019, 17:30

The Guardian carried an article on 31st August 2019 about old rail routes being used as cycleways. It suggested the 10 best routes where old railway formations are in use as cycleways. Theirs is not the only list of routes which seeks to provide a "Top Ten."

I have pulled together a few examples in the linked post below. I'd like to add at least one which does not feature in the top ten lists, and that is the Forest of Dean.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/09/13...no-1-a-top-ten

Which route is best?