08:17

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

TransPennine Express services to Manchester Victoria

Old 11th November 2006, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks
Well it looks like there will be more to come of 185 units on that line when they are used on the North West services, and they are replacing the voyagers on Scotland services.
Having now read the TPE press release I can't really decide if the TPE 185's will be replacing the Virgin Voyagers on the Glasgow/Edinburgh services or operating competing services. Maybe replacing the 221 Voyagers would be a way of releasing some of them for use on the London-Holyhead services. Virgin would like to get rid of the expensive 57/Pendolino combinations on the North Wales coast and replace them with a dedicated fleet of 221 Voyagers with improved catering facilities.
I also wonder what will happen to the TPE services to Blackpool, Barrow and Windermere if these services are extended to Scotland. The long-term rail strategy for the North-West says that there should be more trains between Manchester and Blackpool and that greater use should be made of Manchester Victoria station. This might mean that some of the present TPE Manchester Airport-Blackpool services are replaced by Northern Trains services from Victoria. Making greater use of Victoria would certainly reduce some of the load on the line through Manchester Oxford Road.

Old 11th November 2006, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
Is it still running via Huddersfield on Sundays when it diverts or down the Calder valley
According to the TPE timetables Huddersfield and Dewsbury are served by a bus service from Manchester so it looks like the diversion is via the Calder Valley. The National Rail site also says that there is trackwork between Greenfield and Marsden later this month.
Old 11th November 2006, 23:01

The Virgin Trains Scotland service will cease, and TPX replacing them. It will see 185 units replace the current voyagers on the service.

I think that some Barrow/Windermere services are likely to change to fit the Scotland services, however I am not sure. Apparently the 185s will be on all North West services as well as the Scotland ones.
Old 11th November 2006, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks
The Virgin Trains Scotland service will cease, and TPX replacing them. ......................
Yes, I had forgotten that the Cross-country franchise was being altered and that the current Virgin services via Manchester were being given to another TOC.
Old 16th November 2006, 19:56

I would like to see Victoria as a whole used more than it is, and as Piccaduilly is so crowded then it would be worth doing. It does have quite a few services during the week, but on the Sunday I went there were hardly any passengers around when I arrived, the station felt empty.

I would really like to see a big intericty train like the HST come into Victoria.