17:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Train driver forgot to make stop (BBC News)

Old 12th March 2010, 15:20

Train driver forgot to make stop (BBC News)

Train operator First Great Western apologises to passengers after a train driver forgot to stop at Didcot Parkway.

More from BBC News...

Old 12th March 2010, 15:31

Mistakes happen, I think its a bit harsh being made public to the BBC, hope the driver is OK and does not get treated to harshly by his bosses, I suspect they will throw this report back at him!
Old 12th March 2010, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF News View Post
Train operator First Great Western apologises to passengers after a train driver forgot to stop at Didcot Parkway.

More from BBC News...
was didcots population on this train who told bbc news seems a lot passinger for didcot
Old 12th March 2010, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Mouse View Post
Mistakes happen, I think its a bit harsh being made public to the BBC, hope the driver is OK and does not get treated to harshly by his bosses, I suspect they will throw this report back at him!
Well it is classed as a safety of the line incident. Nobody is quite sure why apparently since a SPAD is not involved.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:02

Exactly Wyvern, seems a bit weird that this has made the press in this way
Old 12th March 2010, 18:34

You know, I do this on Rail Simulator all the time.

Still, mistakes happen, no doubt there will be some extra training and a warning for the driver but, as my old man used to say; he who makes no mistakes does nothing at all.
Old 12th March 2010, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleyholly View Post
was didcots population on this train who told bbc news seems a lot passinger for didcot
The only source for the number (150) was a passenger quoted in the article. I'm not sure it could be taken as gospel.
Old 12th March 2010, 23:32

Must have been a slow news day in the local BBC Newsroom. It was a mistake or misunderstanding by the Train Driver. It might be classified as a 'Safety of Line Incident' which I couldn't comment on but there was no danger in the incident! Are the BBC beyond mistakes themselves? As everyone knows pencils have rubbers attached!
Old 13th March 2010, 00:04

I think any train driver or ex train driver on here will tell you that they have done the same i know i have afterall we are only human and they can't hang you for it.

ccmmick.

Old 13th March 2010, 07:06
Registered Member

ccmmick...correct ! It is not the first time this has happened and no doubt it will not be the last. It is a pity the Media dont take a look at their own mistakes which happen on a DAILY basis. This kind of incident on the railway happens OCCASIONALLY.

Ok, the train should have stopped at Didcot, it did not, why ? Did the driver really forget ? Or was there some other reason ? Let the investigation take its course and if the driver is definately at fault then have him / her in the office and find out the real reason, but they must NOT make the driver a scapegoat in the first instance just because it was highlighted on the news.
That would be the easy way out, blame the driver and everyone is happy...wrong !

Trains, Planes, buses etc etc, the first thing the media mention is, was the person in charge (driver or pilot) at fault ?
They never actually wait until all avenues have been looked at.