08:23

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Safer level crossings ?

Old 28th November 2013, 21:30

I have to agree with most of what has been said when it concerns dealing with most sane human behavior; however what if those who do have mental disorders or learning difficulties are faced with barriers that are less than complete blocks to a crossing, I.e. Half barriers? Do they actually understand the consequences of their actions when the train is coming? We all assume those using a crossing will do so understanding the reasons behind the flashing lights and why the barrier is down. There are other aspects to human behavior other than the plain stupid who risk life and limb to save a few minutes. Just a different view point to this thread.
Regards
Phil

Old 21st January 2014, 10:48

More news about level crossing improvements.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25820925
Old 21st January 2014, 11:15

Has anyone thought about legislation to introduce penalties for crossing while barriers are lowered and lights are flashing.
Assuming that most of those doing this are doing while driving a vehicle, I think a £1,000 fine + a 1-year driving ban is reasonable. CCTV needed at ALL level crossings allowing a clear view of number plates.
If the vehicle is hit, the drive has forfeited all right to compensation by the stupidity of his action and he/she will be required to make a mandatory contribution towards the cost of reparing the damaged train.
Old 21st January 2014, 13:31

Compensation? The idiot could well be dead.
Isn't going through the "flashing lights at a crossing the same as running a red light?
One of the last crossigs on the Midland Main Line has been replaced by a bridge just south of Loughborough station & a very nice one too.
Old 22nd January 2014, 07:43

There are also many pedestrians hit by trains here in South Africa crossing railway lines at shortcut paths which they access through holes they have created in barriers/fences. Too lazy to use the bridges provided which may be only a few yards away.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:11
Station Manager

It was the same in Rhodesia 27vet. I have seen many young kids run across the front of a train, but never had the misfortune to hit anyone. The closest I ever came to hitting a line crosser was an African woman with a 5 gallon can of water on her head. She had to jump out of the way and still managed to only spill a small amount of water.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
It was the same in Rhodesia 27vet. I have seen many young kids run across the front of a train, but never had the misfortune to hit anyone. The closest I ever came to hitting a line crosser was an African woman with a 5 gallon can of water on her head. She had to jump out of the way and still managed to only spill a small amount of water.
You got it Syd. They are quite fit!
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:37

With respect Gents, we could discuss this topic until the cows come home as the saying goes, but there will forever be one out there to take that chance.

The level crossing on the BBC site is actually at Waterbeach, between Cambridge and Ely, and featured on the local news here again last night. With me, where there are No barriers, I am always weary about crossing even if the lights do not flash before the barriers descend, as like anything else, these too do get faults as we are aware.

Re the two youngsters killed at Elsenham a few years ago, when I worked on this line as a revenue Protection Inspector and needed to alight for whatever reason, the pedestrian crossing WAS always locked when trains were due to pass through, or stop. Sadly, these two girls were killed after I left that area, so don't know Why the gate wasn't locked.

I read in a paper this morning where a youngster originally from Pakistan, enquired about a train he wanted to catch and jumped down on to the trackside, putting his ear to the Live rail and obviously got electrocuted. He came here about 6 months ago, and apparently in Pakistan, they put an ear to the rail to listen for an approaching train. Ouch!
Old 7th March 2014, 06:32

Network rail apologise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26478145
Old 12th March 2014, 22:11

Hi everyone.

I have to agree with every post I have read here.

Level crossings are always safe enough if people don't misuse them.

Anyone who trys to get across while lights/barrier's are in operation is an idiot.

I never see why we should predict what idiots do or try to pander to them. Everyone knows what the dangers are. If they don't then what hope is there?

Also a question. If 500 are too close, that is a lot of disruption while finding new ways across the lines. I mean people moaning about how dangerous crossings are, will surely not want weeks and months of disruption all over the place as routes get completely altered.