08:19

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Refurbished 150s

Old 28th November 2007, 10:10

Refurbished 150s

When the First North Western 150s were refurbished did they replace the engines? The reason I ask is because they seem louder than the non-refurbished ones. Although I am aware that the non-refurbished ones are double glazed while the refurbished ones are single glazed which can obviously make a difference.

Old 28th November 2007, 13:41

I think with regards to the windows it may be the fact that they have been smashed and just replaced with singkle glazing on the ones that you have seen.

With regards to the engines i think that they are just knackered plus there will be a difference with the actull types of engines between the MK1 & MK2 150's as the Arriva Trains Wales ones all seem to be alot quieter than the ex FNW ones and they seem to take off better.

The ex ATN ones have been well looked affter so that would make a difference to them as well and along with the exhaust systems used, i would surgest that yo do a serach on the internet to find out.

It is the same with the 158's some of those where fitted with different engines so it is possible that some will have different ones.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:13

The mistake North Western made when they refurbished them was they put in an an accessible toilet, but the replacement seats they put in were too big to continue to have three on one side of the aisle and two on the other. So I doubt a wheelchair would be able to get to the toilet and even if it did, anyone sat on the bench seat opposite the toilet entrance would have to stand up to let a wheelchair past.

They should have spaced out the seats more having two on either side of the aisle and more leg room and to compensate for the loss of seating they should have made all the 150s in to 3 or 4 car trains. Although, at the time there probably wouldn't have been enough 150 carriages to do that.
Old 12th December 2007, 15:02

Well i agree with you 100% but they could have had extra coaches built on contarct.

What i would have done is put a MK2 Both coaches inbetween a Mk1 ie split it open in the middle then shunt the mk2 one upto it and then put the other end of the mk1 back on to the MK2 then you got a four car 150 with all ther gang ways conecting and no need to change the fleet numbers.

Northern could do this quite easy if they stopped runnig silly service to Stayley Bridge and Huddersfeild etc and used 142's for what they are built for ie Local Stoppin Services.