14:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

A plea from Southampton, Hampshire, U.K.

Old 27th June 2011, 18:44

A plea from Southampton, Hampshire, U.K.

My first post, and I trust I will be forgiven for begging for help with a project.

I am Secretary of the Lords Hill and Lords Wood Historical society, being two districts of Southampton, U.K. You can find out more about us
at
http://lordshillhistorysociety.blogspot.com/
or by simply typing Lordshill Historical Society into the Google search engine.

On Monday 11 July one of our members will be giving a talk on 'The Old Railways of Hampshire'. The speaker is an old - well getting on that way - Hampshire man who is very enthusiastic about his subject and if possible I would like to give him some support as we plan to take his presentation 'on tour', that is present it at various Sheltered Housing communities in Southampton as part of our co-operation with Southampton City Council and their super programme of doing their best to alleviate social isolation amongst the elderly.

The visits to the sheltered housing units will be about every two or three weeks over a period of a few months, to give talks to elderly people who are really enthusiastic about local history, and with whom the old trains are a big hit.

If there are any members of this forum who are willing and able to assist us in any way then it would be great to hear from you, even if it is only to give me some ideas as to how I can give this project a boost, and of course if there are people who are willing to talk, lend railway artifacts, whatever...well, that would be magic.

Kind regards,

John

Last edited by John Gurney; 27th June 2011 at 20:35.