23:11

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Another step forward for Amlwch branch restoration

Old 5th October 2011, 14:51

Another step forward for Amlwch branch restoration

Network Rail has finally granted a licence that would allow Lein Amlwch volunteers to begin clearance work on part of the Amlwch branch...

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...5578-29532021/

Old 9th October 2011, 14:16

Is there a risk that this line will be commandeered for construction of another reactor at Wylfa?
Old 10th October 2011, 08:55

Amlwch branch restoration

I would have thought it unlikely. Wylfa is about five miles from the nearest point on the Amlwch branch and even if construction materials were to be moved in by train, I would have though the main line to Holyhead would be the most likely railhead. And I rather doubt they would go to the expense of reconstructing the branch line for the sake of a short-term construction project.

The Amlwch branch has never been used for the spent nuclear fuel from Wylfa - that has always been moved by road to the siding at Valley on the main line.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:50

I just wondered that the old Octel tank site just before Amlwch would be good for concrete batching and storage of bulk materials necessary for the construction of the new reactor. This would keep inbound construction materials away from existing supply routes, which will still be needed as the magnox reactor/s will remain in use. A temporary road could be built accross farmland to Wylfa.
The new railway could be a joint venture between the WAG, Horizon Nuclear Power and NR and would return to heritage/passenger use at the end of construction although HNP may consider using it to augment the existing flask traffic route...

Watch this space LOL
Old 11th October 2011, 10:45

Amlwch branch and Wylfa

I take it you mean the old Shell site rather than the Octel site (which was actually in Amlwch town and served by an extension to the branch itself built in the early 1950s).

There was a tank farm built by Shell in the 1970s whose construction was served by a rail siding off the Amlwch branch at a place called Rhosgoch about three miles before Amlwch. That would be a possibility, I suppose and it would mean a much shorter road journey to the Wylfa site than from Valley on the main line.

But it would mean reconstructing 14 miles of the Amlwch branch - it's nice to think that that could happen but I'm not sure what the economics of that would be. Will any of the construction material be brought in by rail, for a start?
Old 11th October 2011, 14:37

That's the one. It's 4 miles to Wylfa as the crow flies.. Presumably it's a brownfield site. Using the Amlwch branch for reactor construction etc could be a win-win for all concerned..
Old 20th January 2012, 14:46

I'm glad that there now seems a good possibility for the line to reopen, having visit the area dozens of times over the years, walking the coastal footpath etc, I look forward to the day to make a trip down the line by train, instead of foot.

Although I help out at Llangollen, and presently involved with the Corwen extension, I would be move than glad to help out, with line side clearance etc.
Old 20th January 2012, 20:28
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum wydene. I visit Llangollen several times a year as I am involved with The Patriot Project. My next visit will be for Steel, Steam and Stars III. I will be around from the Wednesday to the Sunday.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.