14:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Birth of a layout.

Old 27th March 2006, 09:07

Thumbs up Good read

Trev
Thanks for all updates on your latest project, it has been most interesting to read. Also it's good to know that mine is not the only model railway that sometimes takes a back seat to domestic reality.I look forward to more instalments and perhaps the odd photo or two, in the mean time the only thing that needs to be said now is HAPPY BIRTHDAY Syd.

cheers for now
Dave.

Old 27th March 2006, 19:05
Station Manager

Thanks for the birthday wishes Dave. Now where the hell did I put that kitchen towel, must get the dishes done before I start on the ironing.
Syd
Old 27th March 2006, 21:42

Syd

Wow! For that sort of amount I'd have to do some putting together of flat pack furniture. Actually I will have to soon, she's ordered some.

I'm going to relay my track using foam underlay. I had a test running session yesterday and the noise was terrible! Whoever would've thought such small motors could make so much racket!

And my Class 73 is going to have to go back as well. It did one circuit and then stopped. There must be a short in the motor or something, 'cos when I put the 08 on the same track, that failed to move as well. But when the 73 was taken off, the shunter moved off quite happily. Does anyone know what the usual course of action is when returning mail order models? Should I send it to Dapol ( the manufacturers) or the model shop that I got it from?
Old 27th March 2006, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.fan
Trev
Thanks for all updates on your latest project, it has been most interesting to read. Also it's good to know that mine is not the only model railway that sometimes takes a back seat to domestic reality.I look forward to more instalments and perhaps the odd photo or two,
Glad you're enjoying it Dave. Keep looking in and you never know, I might have actually got to the point where I think I've done enough that a photo is deserved without embarrasing myself!
Old 27th March 2006, 22:05
Station Manager

Trev
The photo I took of my layout "Cripple Siding" when I only had the track laid and the one of the track with the tunnel have both been viewed over 75 times. I have not had one comment on either of them. I can only think that people are looking at them to get some ideas for their own layouts. Even if they are just using part of it, that's fine by me. Just glad to of been of some use. Go ahead and post a photo.
Syd
Old 27th March 2006, 22:21
Station Manager

Trev
The photo I took of my layout "Cripple Siding" when I only had the track laid and the one of the track with the tunnel have both been viewed over 75 times. I have not had one comment on either of them. I can only think that people are looking at them to get some ideas for their own layouts. Even if they are just using part of it, that's fine by me. Just glad to of been of some use. Go ahead and post a photo.
I would say the model shop you got it from first as it comes under the 'Sale of Goods Act' and as they sold it to you in an unfit state, they should ether repair or replace it. You paid the shop, not Dapol.
I used Gaugemaster underlay. It is great as it has ballast set on it and saves you having to do it. Remember to make an allowance for loco sheds if you ballast all the way through. It raises the track enough to stop locos entering the shed and they catch on the roof.
Syd
Old 27th March 2006, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
I would say the model shop you got it from first as it comes under the 'Sale of Goods Act' and as they sold it to you in an unfit state, they should ether repair or replace it. You paid the shop, not Dapol.
Yeah, I reckon you're right Syd. It's how it works in the clothes shop that I work in. I'll e-mail the shop tomorrow and let them know I'm sending it back. It's not like I'm asking for a refund, I just want this one fixing or a replacement model.
Old 7th April 2006, 18:31

Anything to report Trev?
I am ballasting my layout with Woodland Scenics ballast bonded together with diluted PVA glue. I lay my track on Sundeala board and the trains initially run quietly but after ballasting the noise levels increase. I agree that foam underlay is probably the best solution if the noise is a problem.
John.
Old 7th April 2006, 20:09
Station Manager

The first train set I had was a Hornby clockwork set with a few extra bits of track dad got from a friend of his. I think the loco was a Jinty (but it was so long ago I’m not sure) with 4 goods wagons. From there I went on to a 3 rail Hornby which was the in thing. Trouble was that as we were in Rhodesia at the time, 1950’s and we could only get train sets and a few things like tin stations, signal box, and a bridge. Points were something you ordered from the UK and then waited from 6 to 9 months to get. We were very limited on anything we wanted, and if someone with a name or money wanted the thing you ordered then the shop would sell them your order, then say that the order must have been lost. Many gave up modelling because of this cheating. Others were lucky enough to have family who travelled to the UK and were able to bring bits back. One chap told us that he was going back to the UK for a 3 month training course and would get what we wanted in the UK. Dad gave him some money to get a set of coaches and 4 sets of points. This was not easy for him as it cost a lot more than he could afford. As we had not heard from the guy 5 months later, dad went to his home only to find that it was empty. The chap next door said that we were not the first to come looking for him. Well that was the end of model railways for me in Rhodesia. Dad went on to become a top railway policeman in Botswana years later. One night he was called to a passenger train where a fight had started in the bar and a lot of damage was done. Two men were arrested. One just happened to be someone who was going to get my railway parts for me some years back. 3 years in a Botswana prison helped him to think of the young boy he had upset all those years ago.
Syd
Old 7th April 2006, 21:17

Syd,
I found your story quite touching. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Even today I am sure that there are many train-loving kids in the World who can only dream of owning what the more affluent ones take for granted.
It was good to see that the law (and your Dad) finally caught up with the conman
John.