19:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > On-track Machinery

Rail workers cleared

Old 14th October 2008, 19:00
Station Manager

Rail workers cleared

Rail workers have been cleared over the Grayrigg rail accident

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20081014/...c-dba1618.html

Old 17th October 2008, 00:35

So no one is to blamed for what seems to me to blatant neglect? Its unbelievable to me.
Old 17th October 2008, 14:13

The problem is Yorky that no one will accept blame for anything nowdays.
Everyone seems intent on being faultless.
Paul.
Old 17th October 2008, 15:03

Yes, I suppose you are right, In my day's you had to sign a form confirming that you had examined and found correct all facing points monthly. It was far more important than your time sheet. They would have hung us.
Old 20th October 2008, 08:38

Why was the crossover constructed using facing points anyway? It seems to add an obvious unnecessary failure mode.
Old 20th October 2008, 20:53

If all crossovers on the main lines were to be trailing, think of the time it would take when trains had to be run bang road for works. Facing crossovers are essential on todays railways and with the usual locking systems are safe.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:00

They are not just "placed" strategically to make it easier to get engineering trains to site, they are used for single line working when emergencies such as a broken down train or track fault arises.

If you notice, many crossovers on the main line are in pairs, one facing and one trailing to allow SLW over the section.

Many are also groundframe operated. NWR has realised that they are a risk and that's probably why they have been plain-lining them for a while.

Eg - Sutton Weaver GF has been removed during the remodelling by COLAS

Not entirely sure of all Grayrigg facts, but paperwork is still filled in after all inspections. Mostly that's all maintenance is - examining track and keeping records. No doubt, someone that works for NWR will try and tell me otherwise. But, I know and it's boring, that's why I left!
Old 20th May 2010, 15:01

Observation on older thread

Just read this and had to comment.
I have read the reports concerning Grayrigg, and in my own opinion neglect, apathy and bureaucracy were to blame.
There is absolutley nothing wrong with the concept of facing point turnouts/crossovers.
With higher poundage rail and suitable ratio ( e.g 1:25 ) highspeed turnouts these days, they can be entered in a facing crossover or reverse switch movement at 80+ kph and normal main line runnung speed for straight through traffic. Lesser ratio turnouts obviously at a lesser speed. So long as all connecting and detecting equipment is up to and maintained to standard, and stockrail, switches and track geometry,are monitored and maintained when required, then no problem what so ever.
Dan The Man
Quote:
Mostly that's all maintenance is - examining track and keeping records.
Dan, dont forget the most important and less boring part of mtce, maintaining and repairing

Grayrigg was a collection of failures which should have been identified and corrected and unfortunately, culminated in an extrordinary failure which, fortunately, is not likely to ever be repeated. ( unintentionally )
Facing point turnouts/crossovers will allways be required at certain locations for operational requirements.
You may feel safe.
Cheers,
SBJ

http://scarbagjack-jackontrack.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Scarbagjack; 18th April 2011 at 13:05. Reason: Added Info
Old 27th May 2010, 13:05
Registered Member

Yes it seems as though the whole matter is something of a "hush up" nudge nudge wink wink" affair.