12:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Research Inquiry - Busy commuter trains!

Old 18th October 2009, 12:22

Research Inquiry - Busy commuter trains!

Hi,

My name is Ryan Dugmore, I am currently in fourth year of university studying computer aided product design. For my final year project I have decided to design a new style of train carriage. The “commuter carriage” in off peak times will be a regular carriage, then in peak business commuter times when trains are overcrowded the internal schematics of the seating can be quickly changed to ensure comfortable travel for more passengers. I am writing this post to see if anyone can help me, or provide me with any additional ideas i may have overlooked. I really need to learn more about how seats are fixed to carriages in order to develop my new system. I would appreciate information from anyone that may be able help understand existing systems.

Thankyou in advance,

Ryan

Old 18th October 2009, 20:41

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum.
During the past 30 years, a great deal of research has been carried out in this area. By trial and error, mainly, the door spacings on commuter trains seem to be standardising at 1/3 + 2/3 or 1/4 + 3/4 spacing for ease of movement. Likewise, tip up seats around the vestibules are common.
There must be loads of info on carriage design on t'internet.
Best of luck.
Regards, Tony.
Old 18th October 2009, 21:35

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but i don't understand what you mean by "door spacings".
Old 19th October 2009, 20:53

Hi Ryan,
By door spacings, I mean, looking at the side of the carriage; one door would be at 1/3 and a second door at 2/3 along the carriage. i.e. a 60ft carriage would have doors at 20ft and 40 ft. I hope that clarifies the situation. Much experimentation has been carried out on the best door spacings to give the best access/egress at the same time cutting down cold draughts within the carriage.
Old 1st November 2009, 21:21

Variable configurations

As someone who often travels with a non-folding bike on off-peak trains, I've often thought that a 'quick change' area that can be used as seating in the peak and for bikes, pushchairs etc in the off peak - but without sacrificing passenger space at the busiest times of day - would be an excellent idea.

It would give all us 'troublesome' folk with our bikes, baby buggies etc somewhere to go to without getting in the way of 'normal' passengers (and vice-versa). At the same time it would give the guard somewhere to sit and do their paperwork away from the general public. (I've noticed that some of the South West Trains units have him stuck in a silly little cubbyhole, which must be very claustrauphobic.)

The nearest I can think of to such an approach these days are the unrefurbished 319 units (as used on the Brighton-Bedford and some Brighton Line services). These have (had?) fold-up seats in one of the end compartments. I think the original idea was that the door to the area could be locked and the bay used with the seats folded up to carry mail and parcels, back in the days when this was still carried on passenger trains. But I think even these examples are disappearing as these units are refurbished.
Old 4th November 2009, 11:37
Registered Member

Ryan, best of luck with your project and welcome to the forum.