20:19

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Backward

Old 25th August 2009, 22:24

Backward

As more franchises open and more are segmented, we are now reaching the point we were at 100 years ago.
Steam is on the rise and there are more preserved locos than in 1968, operational that is. next stop is steam everywhere.
Just look at 2009. Whenever a steam loco on a special turns up, just look at the people that come to see it.
Remember tornado at kings cross.
Oil's going to run out before coal.
If water levels are going to rise, then lets make use of it.

Old 25th August 2009, 23:03
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
As more franchises open and more are segmented, we are now reaching the point we were at 100 years ago.
Steam is on the rise and there are more preserved locos than in 1968, operational that is. next stop is steam everywhere.
Just look at 2009. Whenever a steam loco on a special turns up, just look at the people that come to see it.
Remember tornado at kings cross.
Oil's going to run out before coal.
If water levels are going to rise, then lets make use of it.
I would love to think you are right but people turn out to see steam because it is different and special.

Steam as a regular day in day out form of railway motive power does not stack up opperationally or ecconomically. DMU's and EMU's are the face of the modern railway. No steam engine could do the daily mileages that they do. An East Coast EMU can do London - Edinburgh - London no problem and then probably finish with a trip to Leeds. A voyager does Aberdeen to Penzance. Steam, certainly coal fired, cannot do this.

It was difficult enough to get staff to work with steam in the 1950' & 60's especially cleaners and other people involved in the preparation and disposal of steam engines. Just look at the photos of steam sheds in the 1960's to see why!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 25th August 2009, 23:10

I see what you mean about EMU's.
The fact is, steam has a draw that worked in the 50's and before.
If it won't return to its former status, it will become more popular.
Steam IS on the rise though and that's a fact.
Anyway EMU's are driven by steam at the power stations, so steam is alive and well here.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:19
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
I see what you mean about EMU's.
The fact is, steam has a draw that worked in the 50's and before.
If it won't return to its former status, it will become more popular.
Steam IS on the rise though and that's a fact.
Anyway EMU's are driven by steam at the power stations, so steam is alive and well here.
A very high percentage of our electricity is generated by steam but that does not make the EMU a steam train!

I see not evidence to suport your theory that steam is on the increase. At best it is holding its own. It only because Steam is subsidised by enthusiasts that it is here at all. There are very few steam locos that pay their way. Most have a support group who raise money to keep them going. Remember that Tornado was built by a large number of people paying regular contributions and they are still paying. Tornado is not paid for yet. Then there are all the volunteers in the support crews everytime a steam engine goes out. The fare paying passenger is getting quite a heavy subsidy!

I am a steam enthusiast. I am currently helping to overhaul a small tank engine. I support the Patriot Project etc. etc. etc. but ................ If I want to travel by train to get somewhere, as opposed to a day out with steam, I want a clean, fast and restful journey and that means electric or diesel.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 27th August 2009, 23:35

Yes, unfortunately I must agree with John's response to the 'fact' that steam is on the rise. From what I have read a number of preserved lines are worried about where the next generation of volunteers is going to come from, given the lack of enthusiasts among young people today.