11:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Keith’s 51 wonderful years on signals

Old 16th November 2005, 15:26
Fat Controller

Keith’s 51 wonderful years on signals

A WOODFORD railwayman – who has seen everything from steam engines to tilting trains – has retired as Britain’s longest serving signaller.
Keith Brown, 66, has retired after seeing 51 years of railway history from behind the levers at many of Greater Manchester’s former 265 signal boxes.
Keith started work as a young man aged just 15 before Christmas in 1954 as a train booking clerk, logging train movements trains for signalmen.
He said: "I stated work in signal box number two at Stockport station at the end of the arches and came full-circle to box number one on platform four. After three years, I was taken on as a relief signalman.
"I used to get on my push-bike to start work at four o'clock in the morning in all weathers, including snow and make my way to Buxton.
"Everything was manual then, so I had to change the signals at 52 boxes covering an area with lines from Buxton and Macclesfield and Crewe.
"Things were very different back then.
"I used the train where I could but I only earned £1.50 a week. Eventually, I bought myself a motorbike and when I was 24-years-old I got my first car."
In 1965, Keith transferred to the Guide Bridge area where he continued working on many lines which have since closed.
He said his time on the railways had been marvellous due to the wonderful people he had met.
"The biggest change I saw was when Stockport’s overhead lines went up and I thought that all the signal boxes would go.
"But they didn’t. And it was brilliant to see all that work go into restoring the signal boxes last year."
He added: "Its cracking to be a part of railway's history. I’ve seen the changes from steam to diesel and then electric.
"And I have to pinch myself when I think it used to take a steam train ten minutes to get out of Stockport station."
Jo Kaye, a Network Rail general manager, said: "Keith is a well respected and valuable member of the team. He will be greatly missed by all his friends and colleagues at Network Rail.
"This is a truly remarkable achievement and one that is unlikely ever to be repeated again."

Old 16th November 2005, 16:54

Wow, what an achievement!!!

Ben