19:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Class 73 at Peterborough

Old 28th March 2011, 23:51

Question Class 73 at Peterborough

Hello all!
Last Saturday (26/03/11), I was travelling on a train for London Kings Cross, when out of my window I noticed a class 73 Electro-Diesel standing outside the GBRF depot. I only glimpsed it, and failed to get its number.
So my question is, does anybody out there know which 73 it was that I saw stood outside the depot on the date mentioned above??
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
many thanks in advance,

Old 2nd April 2011, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58041 View Post
Hello all!
Last Saturday (26/03/11), I was travelling on a train for London Kings Cross, when out of my window I noticed a class 73 Electro-Diesel standing outside the GBRF depot. I only glimpsed it, and failed to get its number.
So my question is, does anybody out there know which 73 it was that I saw stood outside the depot on the date mentioned above??
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
many thanks in advance,
Hi Mate, Talky-Tim here. I often go onto another website for a bit of railway gen. This website is locoscene. I noticed that a guy calling himself 1008harrier noted as a spot at peterborough on 25/03/2011 the loco 73205 on the shed mate. If you go to google, type in "locoscene" as one word, sign in as a guest and then do a loco search for 73205 or an area search for "peterborough" you will see what else was there that day, which may help bud. Some people paste piccy's and some dont, but i think its a great site, and quite helpfull to me personally. Hope this helped mate, Bye
Old 3rd April 2011, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by talky-tim View Post
Hi Mate, Talky-Tim here. I often go onto another website for a bit of railway gen. This website is locoscene.

Some people paste piccy's and some dont, but i think its a great site, and quite helpfull to me personally. Hope this helped mate, Bye
Well that's one I didn't know about Ta for that Talky Tim just checking it out right now

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 3rd April 2011, 13:51

Hi, Just had a look at locoscene and i will be trying it tonight. Baz , Cheers Talky Tim
Old 4th April 2011, 14:24

Hi Guys, Talky-Tim again, thanks very much for the thank you's. If you do go on the locoscene site, dont take everything you read as absolute gospel unless its backed up with a photo. The reason i say this is that one gentleman very recently reported seeing 60064 pass through a station somewhere in the Bury-Bolton area. 60064 has been hevily canabilized over the last four years, is parked right against some buffers with six other dead class 60's for company and, to my knowledge has not moved in over four years and will probably never do so ever again. Which is a bit of a bugger cos he is the last 60 i need off Toton and i like to actually see the numbers before i cross em off. But generally the gen is good to within a day of where your loco was last spotted. Cheers Guys.
Old 4th April 2011, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by talky-tim View Post
Hi Mate, Talky-Tim here. I often go onto another website for a bit of railway gen. This website is locoscene. I noticed that a guy calling himself 1008harrier noted as a spot at peterborough on 25/03/2011 the loco 73205 on the shed mate. If you go to google, type in "locoscene" as one word, sign in as a guest and then do a loco search for 73205 or an area search for "peterborough" you will see what else was there that day, which may help bud. Some people paste piccy's and some dont, but i think its a great site, and quite helpfull to me personally. Hope this helped mate, Bye
Hi Talky-Tim. Thanks for the info, but unfortunately there were no spots at Peterborough on the day I was looking for. I will just assume that 73 205 was the one that I saw, since it was there on the 21st, 24th and 25th of last month, and I doubt that it will have moved overnight.
Your help has been greatly appreciated
Old 4th April 2011, 19:37

73's get everywhere these days!
Old 5th April 2011, 10:30

73's get everywhere?

I know what you mean. Have any of you guys seen 73138. It is completely yellow and does its stuff for the guys at the RTC in Derby. Where i used to work incidentally. Its not pretty, but hey, the 73's never really were. Still nice to see some working examples out there though. Cheers, Tim
Old 5th April 2011, 16:21

I note the corraspondance concerning the 73 type electro diesels. Can anyone tell me why are they so popular. They were originally intended to be used on the southern and were fitted with a 650hp engine for use in goods yards where there was no 3rd rail. The idea of an overhead wire for thes goods yards was dropped although the orriginal DC Locos did have a pantograph.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8001
Can anyone tell me why are they so popular?
Their dual traction ability makes them very useful to GBRf. They get used alot on ballast and possession work. They can run out to the worksite on 3rd rail power, and then when a current isolation is taken they can bimble round on their engines. If they need a few more horses they can work in multiple.

(One reason why drivers like them - if you're unfortunate enough to gap one, and everbody does sooner or later, you just fire up the engine and get out of trouble. )