09:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Margam scrapline

Old 13th February 2010, 22:23

Margam scrapline

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Margam next week but I need your advice. According to the 'End of the line' website, the following loco's are stored on the scrap line:

08646 08770 08854
09003 09011 09015 09020 09102
56062 56100
60026 60062

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...&t=h&z=17&om=1

Above is a Google Earth image of all the loco's on the scrapline, but this image is about 4 years old. I want to know if the loco's are still kept at this location, or have they been moved elsewhere? Knuckle Yard 'Train Crew depot' for example.

I want to take lots of photo's of the scrappers, especially the 2 class 60's but i'm worried about security & CCTV. Is it wise to go inside and get up close and personal, or should I invest in a telephoto lens and shoot from the public highway? I don't want to get arrested for suspected metal thievery or trespass. You know what it's like these days.....Innocently taking photo's on Castle Carey station, and they make you feel like Bin Laden's right hand man in Somerset!

It would also be nice to climb inside the cabs & engine room, as I've never been in a class 56 or 60.

Please tell me what you think, and I will be sure to upload all my shots.

Rassy

Last edited by Rassy; 13th February 2010 at 22:30.
Old 13th February 2010, 23:02

That's the same line up as quoted on the WNXX site (probably the same website as you used); they're normally pretty much up to date, so I'd assume it's currently correct. You could always ask the staff for permission, apparently sometimes visits to depots ARE permitted, but I wouldn't bank on it; take a telephoto lens!