08:52

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Severn Valley Railway FLOOD DAMAGE APPEAL

Old 30th June 2007, 15:24

Exclamation Severn Valley Railway FLOOD DAMAGE APPEAL

The title says it all here is a link, http://www.svr.co.uk/appeal.php. The Severn Valley Railway was hit by flash floods on Tuesday 19th June 2007 causing major damage to the railway, with 45 seperate incidents of which 9 were serious.

Old 30th June 2007, 21:03
Station Manager

I am sure the Heritage Railway World will rally round and all of us will do our little bit to help.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 1st July 2007, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWR9600 View Post
The title says it all here is a link, http://www.svr.co.uk/appeal.php. The Severn Valley Railway was hit by flash floods on Tuesday 19th June 2007 causing major damage to the railway, with 45 seperate incidents of which 9 were serious.
GWR9600 - I think they are missing the Gift Aid Forms on the website so SVR can reclaim an extra 20% in tax. They have a donation form:- It just needs a couple of lines adding to it.

The photos look horrible. Much muck-shifting to do, and at the height of the tourist season too. Give your vistors a wheelbarrow and spade each and charge them for an authentic Railway-Navvy Experince weekend. [evil-grin smilee]
Old 1st July 2007, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
GWR9600 - I think they are missing the Gift Aid Forms on the website so SVR can reclaim an extra 20% in tax. They have a donation form:- It just needs a couple of lines adding to it.

The photos look horrible. Much muck-shifting to do, and at the height of the tourist season too. Give your vistors a wheelbarrow and spade each and charge them for an authentic Railway-Navvy Experince weekend. [evil-grin smilee]
I dont know if they can as the SVR isnt a charity as such, if donations were made to the SVR Rolling Stock trust maybe they could then. But the charities commission might have a look and say that money donated to the SVR Rolling Stock Trust they must be used to restore/maintain coaches and wagons not the line.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:33

Looks like good news for the SVR....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6283176.stm

Nice that the big organisations have coughed up as well
Old 9th July 2007, 20:28

Question

This is good news, but will it get to the SVR intime to enable us to re-open the line without getting into too much debt. I hope we dont end up like the Weardale Railway where we are dependant on goverment grants to such and extent that if they pull the plug we go belly up.
Old 9th July 2007, 21:29
Station Manager

Great News Shedcat, Thanks for the link.

I think there is a big difference between SVR and Weardale. The SVR is a long standing and integral part of its local economy which needs the SVR up and running quickly again for the Summer Season if possible.

Best wishes,

John.
Old 10th July 2007, 13:58

During the East Lancs Diesel Gala the guards where going through the trains collecting for the SVR appeal, and I only saw one person who didn't put in, so hopefully that should be a good step in the right direction. Does anyone know how well the fund raising is going so far?

Adam
Old 10th July 2007, 18:30

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi View Post
During the East Lancs Diesel Gala the guards where going through the trains collecting for the SVR appeal, and I only saw one person who didn't put in, so hopefully that should be a good step in the right direction. Does anyone know how well the fund raising is going so far?

Adam
That is great news, hopefuly the next newsletter will have a thank you to all our friends on other railways. Was it an official ELR policy or just a casual collection?
Old 11th July 2007, 16:45

I'm not sure, but as there where no collections at the stations (to my knowledge anyway) I'm going to presume that it was a casual collection organised by the gaurds. Either way, it doesn't matter who's idea it was, it shows that the preservation movement as a whole are supporting the campaign, and that can only be a good thing.

Adam