12:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Should passengers be made more aware of compensation for delayed journeys?

Old 27th June 2007, 10:34

Should passengers be made more aware of compensation for delayed journeys?

I think yes.

Lots of rail companies seem to have different regulations.

For example Northern Rail will compensate you if their service causes you to be more than an hour late at your final destination, including missed connections.

GNER also use one hour but don't include missed connections.

Central Trains and Transpennine Express use 30 minutes even though the length of their journeys are generally shorter than Northern Rail's.

I personally wish I had been made more aware as I didn't realise that I was entitled to about £10 compensation off Virgin Trains and £4.50 off Central Trains until I no longer had the tickets.

Also keeping your tickets sometimes causes a lot of bother leaving the station as at stations like Leeds and Liverpool Lime Street, they try to take single/half of return tickets off you as you leave the station.

Old 27th June 2007, 12:15

Has anybody looked at the back of the old BR tickets and read the terms and conditions of travel? I mean the old pasteboard ones not the ones looking like credit cards we have these days.
Bring back the old style bus tickets as well providing a nice young 'Clippie' collects the fare.
John (G)
Old 27th June 2007, 13:57

The problem with putting terms and conditions on the back of tickets is that different rail companies have different ones and sometimes tickets issued are valid on several different operators such as Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly which would be valid on Northern Rail, Central Trains, Arriva Wales, Virgin Trains and Transpennine Express.
Old 27th June 2007, 18:54

I do believe there is something in the passenger charter about this? Usually in my experience if you have a serious delay the train crew will notify you that u could be eligable for componsations. I was on a central service last august when we hit a tree we were delayed for over 2 hours the gyard got every last passenger details. We were then contacted by central who gave a cash refund to all passenegers and a free journey to anywhere on there network. Not bad considering it was not there fault.
Old 28th June 2007, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222007 View Post
I do believe there is something in the passenger charter about this?
The problem is that there are so many different passenger charters for different rail companies.

Quote:
Usually in my experience if you have a serious delay the train crew will notify you that u could be eligable for componsations.
That hasn't happened in my experinece. Central trains didn't inform me that you are eligible for compensation if you are delayed by 31 minutes.

With the Virgin Trains incident I should have checked. I didn't think I was entitled to compensation because the problem was overhead wires being down, but apparently while some companies wouldn't compensate you for that, Virgin would. In this case the train was due to terminate at Birmingham but was being forced to terminate at Derby because of the delay and the conductors were busy finding out how many people they were for Birmingham and informing them about the replacement bus arrangement, rather than informing other passengers about compensation claims for the train being delayed by 125 minutes.
Old 28th June 2007, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh1983 View Post
I think yes.
Also keeping your tickets sometimes causes a lot of bother leaving the station as at stations like Leeds and Liverpool Lime Street, they try to take single/half of return tickets off you as you leave the station.
I got this at Swansea, didnt even expect it, I thought it would pass throigh the machine but the guy never gave it me back, luckily all journeys were on time so no need to complain, but still you have made a valid point.
Old 1st July 2007, 10:53

What you must all have noticed is that a lot of minutes delay is actually caused by the customer,(as passanger is considered non PC nowadays), with the kissy kissy by by at the train doors as the conductor is trying to close the doors for departure, I see this at many stations when working the Inverness sleepers.

I was told a few years ago when the Safeway was running the delay cost for that train was £450 per minute and £900 per minute for a train carrying Royal Mail but these sort of prices did not stop NR delaying us for a £60 per minute sprinting machine

Les
Old 1st July 2007, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesG View Post
What you must all have noticed is that a lot of minutes delay is actually caused by the customer,(as passanger is considered non PC nowadays), with the kissy kissy by by at the train doors as the conductor is trying to close the doors for departure, I see this at many stations when working the Inverness sleepers........................
Have you noticed an improvement in timekeeping since customers stopped jumping out at intermediate stations for a quick smoke?
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Have you noticed an improvement in timekeeping since customers stopped jumping out at intermediate stations for a quick smoke?

The way I see it is with the smoking ban in Scotland it seems to have got a bit worse as, as soon as the train stops there is a minotity who think that a quick puff is warranted, If it was me the doors would be shut and the train would be off leaving them on the platform.
Before someone jumps on and says that they should'nt be smoking there anyway, I think First Scotrails policy is that its okay to smoke on a station as long as you're out from underneath the station canopy.

Les

Last edited by LesG; 2nd July 2007 at 12:17. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesG View Post
................ I think First Scotrails policy is that its okay to smoke on a station as long as you're out from underneath the station canopy.

Les
That's interesting Les.
Here in England (and Wales) smoking is banned EVERYWHERE on stations, not that some smokers take any notice of it.