22:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Old 5th November 2005, 20:25
Station Manager

Hi, My name is Donald Sydney better known as Syd. I have been a railway fan from about the age of 4 when I stoped the Mail train from Cape Town to Bulawayo by sitting on the line at Westgate in Bulawayo. I wanted a ride on the Engine. I later worked on the footplate of the Rhodesian Railways. Most of my working days was between a place called Thompson Junction (TJ) in Rhodesia and Livingstone in Zambia, across the Victoria Falls Bridge. I then moved to Dett which is in the biggest game park in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe now). Most of my time was on 14th - 15th & 20th class Garratts. The 14 & 15 classes were hand fired and had fire grate areas of 38.6 and 49.6 sq ft, and a fireman could move over 8 ton of coal on a 15 class in a 8 hour shift.
I am also into N gauge model railway and have 22 MSTS CDs which I use very often. I have also had the privilege of driving on the dock railway in Bristol, and on the Ravenglass & Eskdale railway.
If there any other Ex-Rhodesian Railway people out there I would love to hear from you.
P.S. I did get my ride on the engine, a 12th class loco & also a good tanning from my dad
Syd

Old 5th November 2005, 22:05
Fat Controller

Hi syd nice to meet you .
Old 6th November 2005, 16:27

Welcome Syd. Enjoyed your photos in the gallery. I also have a couple of Garrats (Or is it Garratt?) in my gallery.

Regards,
Ray