15:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Worst Station

Old 20th February 2007, 20:14
Station Manager

After spending a bit of time there last week,i have to say Water Orton on the outskirts of Brimingham,worst place i have ever been to and i did not feel very safe and i was there in the daylight.
No wounder it's closing soon.
All the best,Ian

Old 21st February 2007, 20:32

re your comment Ian about not feeling safe on stations in daylight. Some years ago as part of my job I was doing some inspections of buildings on about 20 minor stations around North London. I never left the public areas of the platforms, but "they" decided I needed a Lookout and a PICOW.
I felt really stupid with three of us, standing there in full hi-viz and hard hats on the platform. That was until I we went to inpect some of the quieter stations out of rush hour.

I dont mind the tramps or winos, but some of the other shady characters hanging around looked really mean with obvious minders and lookouts of their own. I had to take lots of photos of the buildings, but I always take care because have learnt from past experience that some people just dont like being caught on camera, and make it very clear to me what will happen if I dont put the camera away.

Then I was really glad to have the couple of tough looking blokes with me. Steel toecap boots and all.
"Lookout" took on a whole new meaning, not covered by the Rule book.

(I am not saying this was any worse than any other inner city area. But usually if you dont like the look of a dodgy situation you can just carefully walk away. In this case I had to be there for an couple of hours per site and do the job, standing there like a mug waving about the company's posh digital camera. )
Old 28th February 2007, 14:49

For me it's fernhill (on the aberdare branch line) - either side of it there is:

a swamp (well, it could easily pass for one) which absolutely stinks to high heaven of sewage;

countless items of litter;

burnt out cars dumped on river banks;

no CCTV (recently there was a sexual assault there, among numerous other crimes);

I have to go there a few times a month to drop off some goods for a relative and hate every visit.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:40

Im in agreement with Heysham Harbour,not at all dangerous or dirty,but what a dump, at the end of the earth.

I think the service is only 1 train a day too.

Its a good job its near the WCML and the M6.

awful place

rog