20:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

The Caboose.

Old 8th July 2010, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
I'm leaving HM on 9K20 off to Bowers open cast at Castleford, with a train of unfitted hopper wagons, it matters not what the number of the BV you have got,, if the train is unfitted that means if the BV had nuclear brakes it would not make a jot what brake pipes are fitted, cos the train is composed of 35 unfitted coal trucks
Thats why there is a BV on the end of the train.
I have shifted more coal from pit yards in and around West Yorkshire, than I have had hot dinners.
They were all unfitted trucks, untill they scrapped them all and we started using HTV/MCV's/HEA
Then the brake vans were taken off pit trip workings, and the guard ended up in the back cab of the engine.
The BV were done away with overnight in the mid 1980's after the miners strike ended the spring of 1885.
I said in my first post that all a guard wanted was a BV with a good fire and a smooth ride, and numbers did not matter, unless you collected these numbers as a hobby.
I assume then, that you were mistaken and the brakevans used on Class 9 trains were NOT prefixed by the letters CAB?

Old 8th July 2010, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
"Oh" yes, unfitted train working, I have spent more shifts working that type of train over the years, you could keep your class 1 workings dashing about all over the system, I was quite happy "trudging" along with a class 9 train AND that is where the driver and Guard worked together, he was in his van at the back and you were on the engine and he should know the road as well as you, because if he made a mistake or you made a mistake you could split the train, if you had a good guard who knew his job and knew the road the journey could be done as smooth as a fitted train.

Working together was all that it took.

Even before the end of brakevans, look after the guard, have him up on the engine,have a smoke and a brew, give him a smooth ride, you were all part of that train crew, you were both there to do a job and it was better to have a happy shift than a miserable one.It was not below me to give the guard a hand whilst he was checking the train, I would go and light his fire for him, or if it was a warm day go and make the tea, we were all workmates.

I totally agree with you, although some drivers were drivers and would not help you at all.
Take Grimethorpe Pit, 40 trucks to prepare, all to couple up and every hanbrake to lift, in filthy conditions under foot, with a driver and second man purging to get going but not offering to help.
If it was like this all week you had problems.
If the diver/asst. mucked in we could half the train preperation time, and work as a team.
When going round a tarin, I would never rush, cos if you rushed you could miss a coupling or a hand brake pinned down hard. My moto is NUR.
Which is No use rushing.
Now we have to do roll bys with a train to ensure there are no brakes pinned down,
The more anyone rushes me the slower I go, and my mobile phone is switched off at all times when shunting/driving the van.
I have to sign the tops sheet/drivers slip, and stamp it with my name. If owt goes wrong it all yours
We are talking of days gone by when we had engines and coaches not plastic Hornby Doublo trains with 4 coaches on an express from Penzance to Manchester Picadilly, which is full and standing at St Erth.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:41
Registered Member

Well as I said previously, it was not below me to give the Guard a "dig out", we were all train crew, and I was not a person that looked down on guards, I know some drivers that definately did. They would have nothing to do with the Guard other than take the train loadings off him.
Some guards used to come to the side of the engine and stand there looking up, and they were very surprised when I used to say "Hello mate, come on up theres a brew going, got your cup ?"
The driver and guard were there for the same thing....to work the train from A to B safely and responsibly !¬ I was not better than the guard and he was no better than me, we were all employed by BR to do a job and if that job could be done with no problem and in a happy atmosphere everyone felt better for it.

If I had a mate, who had been "prepped" by some driver to ignore or give the guard a hard time, I always laid the law down in no uncertain terms and put him straight, there would be none of that rubbish on this train, we are all here to do a job.

I can remember one time, one of the hold hand guards had fell off his moped and was off work with a bad back, he was off some time, I went to his house a couple of times to see him, but when he finally came back and was working with me, I sent him to "brew up" and I went round his train and got it ready, not a problem. Some of the drivers used to have a go at me for being the way I was, but I never had a problem and I can honestly say that I always had a good shift and a happy shift for all my years.
Also there was no barrier on my footplate, anyone was welcome.
It is no good being miserable, we were all working for a days pay, we all wanted to "get done", so the sooner the job was done the sooner we got finished and all went home after a good shift.

The job was done responsibly, safely no rules were broken and everyone was happy. THAT is the way I liked my trains worked, and I would be the same today !!!

Old 8th July 2010, 15:30

Alas all we speak about now has gone, as a lot of the big customers have been made into Shopping Centres or nature reserves, where once we shunted trains worked trains for these locations.
All you see on a journey to Donny from Leeds is industrial deriliction, where at one time we had customers who had 5 or 6 trains a day from Cardiff Rod Mill,(Cobra at Wakefield) or 20 carflats from Southampton with Transit Vans on them for unloading.
( Wakefield Westgate)and thriving pit yards where 3 or 4 MGRS would load for the power Stations per day..
At the end of the miners strike I had 20 pits on my route card. Now these pits are flattened
and When go go past them I remember the times we have worked in and out of them.
(South Kirby/Grimethorpe/Wooley/Manvers Main.) the list goes on.
Gas tanks from Humber Oil to Stanlow Gas, at Ellesmere Port.( 7years)
Old 9th July 2010, 05:59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
Alas all we speak about now has gone, as a lot of the big customers have been made into Shopping Centres or nature reserves, where once we shunted trains worked trains for these locations.
All you see on a journey to Donny from Leeds is industrial deriliction, where at one time we had customers who had 5 or 6 trains a day from Cardiff Rod Mill,(Cobra at Wakefield) or 20 carflats from Southampton with Transit Vans on them for unloading.
( Wakefield Westgate)and thriving pit yards where 3 or 4 MGRS would load for the power Stations per day..
At the end of the miners strike I had 20 pits on my route card. Now these pits are flattened
and When go go past them I remember the times we have worked in and out of them.
(South Kirby/Grimethorpe/Wooley/Manvers Main.) the list goes on.
Gas tanks from Humber Oil to Stanlow Gas, at Ellesmere Port.( 7years)
Yes mate,it is a depressing sight, but at least we can remember, and look back.
Its funny you know, but with the memories we have AND this forum, those times will never be forgotten will they.