18:47

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Hopes rise for Amlwch reopening

Old 25th September 2010, 10:15

Hopes rise for Amlwch reopening

Things seem to be looking up, slightly, for a reopening of the branch line to my old home town. Councillors have dropped plans to turn part of the route into a cycleway and are talking about revived freight and possibly passenger trains.

But as with all these things, I'll believe it when I see it...

http://www.theonlinemail.co.uk/bango...6580-27311096/

Old 25th September 2010, 20:35
Station Manager

This would be very good news for Anglesey and Amlwch/Llangefni in particular. This is just what the area needs. I do hope it goes ahead.

Best wishes,

John H-T
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:27

This line had a branch line at one time which closed in the 1930s. This line went to Benllech, which is a place that I spent a lot of time as a small child on annual caravan Holidays. Granted the cummunities served by that line are smaller, but you have to visit Benllech to see why it deserves a line. It just grips you when you get there as a lovely place to be.
Old 29th September 2010, 03:52

Sounds interesting,hope it goes ahead......
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:13

Red Wharf Bay branch

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
This line had a branch line at one time which closed in the 1930s. This line went to Benllech, which is a place that I spent a lot of time as a small child on annual caravan Holidays. Granted the cummunities served by that line are smaller, but you have to visit Benllech to see why it deserves a line. It just grips you when you get there as a lovely place to be.
The problem for the Red Wharf Bay branch (as it was officially called) was that owing to Anglesey's geography, the rail journey to Bangor was such a long way round compared with road and, as you say, the fact that it was 'a branch of a branch' meant that two changes might be needed. Nor did it give a direct journey to Llangefni, the market town in the centre of the island. Suffice to say, the branch was closed to passengers in about 1930, after lasting barely 20 years. The LMS planned to close it completely and sell the trackbed but couldn't find a buyer, so it lingered on as a freight-only line until about 1950.

I remember as a boy seeing the remains of what I think was the goods shed at Red Wharf Bay alongside the main road. If my memory is correct it was a buff-coloured wooden building and, as this was the 1970s, it must have remained standing for a good 20 years after falling into disuse. A house nearby that was still standing and occupied I was told used to be the stationmaster's, though I'm not absolutely sure on this point.
Old 11th October 2010, 02:46

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimbleshanks View Post
The problem for the Red Wharf Bay branch (as it was officially called) was that owing to Anglesey's geography, the rail journey to Bangor was such a long way round compared with road and, as you say, the fact that it was 'a branch of a branch' meant that two changes might be needed. Nor did it give a direct journey to Llangefni, the market town in the centre of the island. Suffice to say, the branch was closed to passengers in about 1930, after lasting barely 20 years. The LMS planned to close it completely and sell the trackbed but couldn't find a buyer, so it lingered on as a freight-only line until about 1950.

I remember as a boy seeing the remains of what I think was the goods shed at Red Wharf Bay alongside the main road. If my memory is correct it was a buff-coloured wooden building and, as this was the 1970s, it must have remained standing for a good 20 years after falling into disuse. A house nearby that was still standing and occupied I was told used to be the stationmaster's, though I'm not absolutely sure on this point.
Have you got any pics of this branch line??