14:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

hi from a newbie

Old 2nd August 2011, 18:21

hi from a newbie

Hi quite interested in knowing more about train spotting and the hobby I have an interest in railways. I'm mainly a plane spotter but would like to know more what does a train spotter log and how can you find out what train has gone past if you live at side of a railway line?

Many thanks

T Smith

Old 3rd August 2011, 18:43

Hi Smith 368, Welcome to the forum. You will find all the help you require here.
Trainspotting is similar to planespotting; you can make it as simple as noting numbers, or as complicated as you wish. Finding some information can be awkward, such as train reporting numbers and freights not running to time etc. I like the simple life and have enjoyed noting numbers for 60 years. Some people note number, train time, journey (from - to), train consist, etc, etc. As I said, it can be complicated.
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:41

Hiya Smith 368, and welcome. Here's a brief synopsis of WHAT there is to 'spot', and what each entails.
Locomotive numbers: dead simple, but locos are in short supply nowadays, and mostly used on freight workings, hence the surge in interest of freights over the past few years;
Electric & Diesel Multiple Units: a must, really, since most passenger services are operated by EMU and DMU nowadays; the Unit numbers will be found at each end. Here's where you hit your first decision obstacle: Most Multiple Units consist of a number of individually numbered coaches; I first started noting each coach number when I realised that occasionally (often on the SR!) individual coaches could be shifted from one unit to another, and it was the only way to ensure I was underlining what I'd seen, as opposed to what might be listed as 'the proper formation'. The problem with doing this is it's very labour-intensive, especially at busy stations, such as Clapham JUnction, London Bridge, Stratford, etc; AND - if you're intending to take photos of trains, it can all get a bit too frantic. Same thing with Loco-Hauled Coaches.
Departmental Vehicles/On-Track Plant: a wide variety of odd looking things which operate everywhere in order to do track repairs and the like.
Wagon Numbers: VERY labour intensive, especially if collecting numbers of RIV wagons (which run to/from Europe) - lots of digits to write down for each wagon, often being renumbered, and can be very confusing. Lots of people DO collect wagon numbers though.
Haulage Bashing: basically, making a mammoth effort to be hauled by/travel in everything possible; some 'bashers' include all units in a formation, some just the unit they've travelled IN, some even include the actual coach of the unit they're in.
Underground Trains: numbers on each coach in fixed formation (unnumbered) units, so very busy, as are most of the platforms, and the trains themselves.
That's the basics - I'd suggest you start with Loco and Unit numbers, plus maybe Loco-Hauled coaches (not too many in everyday use, mostly charter stock on 'Specials' etc), and see how you get on with that.
I see you're in Sheffield; start off there, it's quite busy, as you probably know, and Doncaster's good for most of what I listed above. Good luck, and keep us informed of your exploits and experiences!
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:28

Welcome to the forum Smith 368. I am a dedicated steam enthusiast and my main buzz is the photography of as many locomotive as I can and at different heritage sites including the main line runnings.
Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy the hobby and be happy doing what you love.
Regards
Phil