14:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

New diesel residents at Bluebell

Old 19th January 2023, 22:09

New diesel residents at Bluebell

BR Southern Region 'Oxted' DeMU No.1305 has arrived at the Bluebell Railway today (19th January 2023). The DeMU has been purchased by the Bluebell and is likely to be used for early and late trains as well as being useful cover for failed steam locos or during periods of high fire risk.

Class 73/1 No.73133 'Bluebell Railway' is also expected to arrive at the Bluebell later this year on a ten year hire agreement with the loco's owner. No.73133 will also be useful as cover for steam locos (as above) and is also expected to take on more of the shunting turns at Horsted Keynes in place of the 'ageing' Sentinal diesel No.10241.

These two arrivals will join the Bluebell's current diesel fleet which comprises Sentinal 0-4-0DH No.10241 (affectionately known as 'Skippy'), BR class 09 0-6-0DE No.D4106 & BR class 33/0 No.33052 'Ashford'.

As a result of this year's influx of diesels (in part at least), a diesel gala is being pencilled in to the Bluebell's calender of events for October.

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/blu...ress-releases/
https://www.facebook.com/bluebellrailway

Tony

Old 19th January 2023, 23:26

Thanks for that Tony. I always liked the Thumpers. Long ago we had a turn which required us to pass down from Blackfriars to Selhurst depot to bring a pair of 319s into service. Our units were often stabled next to a DEMU. As you walked round doing the Prep it sounded like a fishing trawler was moored alongside

Mind you, I don't think modern enthusiasts enjoy the Thumpers quite as much as the 102s (like those on the NNR) - where you can sit behind the driver's cab and watch the line ahead. On the Thumpers the cabs are closed off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...es_101_and_102

John

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 19th January 2023 at 23:28.
Old 20th January 2023, 22:39

Cheers John.
I like the Thumpers too - being a Hastings resident, I grew up with them! The 201/202s were the regulars on the Charing Cross line until electrification in 1986 & the 205/207s worked across the Marshlink into the 2000s; the Southern class 171 DMUs replaced them from 2003.
But, as you say, you can't beat the view from the front or rear of the 101/102s - I enjoyed a trip on the NNR's DMU on my last visit in 2013.

Tony