15:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Two Sentenced For Injuring Train Driver

Old 5th December 2007, 13:56
Registered Member

Two Sentenced For Injuring Train Driver

04/12/2007
TWO SENTENCED TO OVER 13 YEARS' IMPRISONMENT FOR INJURING TRAIN DRIVER

TWO SENTENCED TO OVER 13 YEARS' IMPRISONMENT FOR INJURING TRAIN DRIVER
A Kidderminster duo was sentenced at Worcester Crown Court today after previously pleading guilty to two charges of damaging property and being reckless as to whether another life was endangered.
ONE MAN AGED (19) received six years’ imprisonment, and a 17 year old from Kidderminster received seven and a half years’ imprisonment, after seriously injuring a train driver when masonry was thrown from a bridge at a train in Kidderminster last year.

On Sunday, 17 December 2006 about 10.19pm, the defendants threw a 45lb piece of masonry into the path of a passenger train.
The masonry bounced off the roof of the train and into the path of the freight train being driven Joseph Paxton (57) from Birmingham.
The masonry smashed through the window, hitting Mr Paxton in the face. The train originated from Llanwern in South Wales and was nearing the end of its journey to Brierley Hill.
The incident occurred while the train was in the Kidderminster area. The train driver was left unconscious with serious injuries.
Mr Paxton suffered serious facial injuries and although he has briefly returned to work he continues to suffer excruciating pain, affecting his sleep, personal and work life.
Mr Paxton still requires strong medication to combat this pain and his medication currently prohibits him from driving trains. He has driven trains for the last 35 years and as a result of this incident, his ability to continue in the job he loves remains in doubt.

In his statement, Mr Paxton expressed his thanks to the investigation team at British Transport Police (BTP) for their diligent enquiries, which led to the identification and successful prosecution of the defendants in this case.

“I would also like to express my thanks and gratitude to the media for publishing the appeals on behalf of BTP and appealing for information,” he said.

“I bear no malice to the young men responsible and hope they use their sentence to reflect upon the consequences of their actions last Christmas with positive effect.

“I appreciate the people who came forward with information and cooperated with the police, in what I recognise must have been difficult circumstances.

“In addition, I would like to express a huge thank you to the medical staff at Royal Worcester Hospital and others who assisted and are helping me through my recovery.”

BTP Detective Inspector Robin Conway said:
“An intensive investigation by British Transport Police resulted in hundreds of people being interviewed in the Kidderminster area before three offenders were identified.

“We are grateful to the media, who publicised the incident and helped with our enquiries. There is no doubt that the publication of the photographs of the dreadful injuries sustained by the train driver led to witnesses coming forward to give statements to BTP. This aided the extremely difficult investigation immeasurably.

”This incident occurred as a result of a reckless act by individuals, the results of which were catastrophic and potentially life threatening.
“Unfortunately, the rail network continues to attract people intent on damage, stone throwing and obstruction offences, all of which have the potential to cause serious consequences to those involved, the travelling public and train crews who use trains.

”British Transport Police and Mr Paxton hope that this case sends a clear message regarding the potential impact of these types of incidents.”

Old 5th December 2007, 16:31

Just when this driver should be looking forward to a long and happy retirement he has probably had that taken away from him by two brain dead morons. I cannot believe we as a nation keep putting up with this. I have friends who are train drivers, as I know some of the forum members are, and I know this is a day to day event.
I am, for one of the very few times in my life, left speechless.
I hope the driver makes a full recovery, and I send him all my best wishes.
Paul.
Old 5th December 2007, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul miller View Post
I hope the driver makes a full recoveryl.
I hope he does too.
Old 5th December 2007, 21:21

The loco driver is far more forgiving than I would have been.
The two yobs are old enough to know better and should have gone down for a long, long time
Old 5th December 2007, 21:25
Station Manager

Words fail me.

Chris.
Old 5th December 2007, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
The loco driver is far more forgiving than I would have been.
The two yobs are old enough to know better and should have gone down for a long, long time

Me too,
We were shown pictures of the driver on a safety brief and believe me he was very lucky to survive this horrific attack.

Les
Old 5th December 2007, 21:45
Registered Member

Brick Hurled At Train

FROM THE BTPOLICE SITE.

04/12/2007 10:52
12 YEAR OLD CHARGED AFTER BRICK HURLED AT TRAIN IN SUNDERLAND

A 12 year old boy has been charged with ‘endangering the safety of persons using the railway’ by British Transport Police (BTP) following an incident where a brick was thrown through a train window striking a passenger.

The boy, from the Hendon area was arrested and questioned by officers on Friday 26 October and admitted the offence. He was charged yesterday, December 3, 2007 and has been bailed to appear at Sunderland Youth Court on 13 December 2007.

The incident took place on Tuesday 2 October at approximately 18.00hrs. A brick was hurled at the 17.30 Middlesbrough to Newcastle Northern Rail service as it passed through the Sunderland area; it smashed through two panes of window glass and struck a passenger on the back on the neck showering her with broken glass. Fortunately she wasn’t injured.

After the incident was reported to police, BTP launched an investigation and obtained CCTV footage of the incident which identified the youth.
Old 6th December 2007, 17:16

It's just disgusting. What possible motive is there to do such a thing?
Old 6th December 2007, 20:17

At last the scumbags who did this have what they deserve thats all i'll say.
Old 6th December 2007, 22:25

How could anyone want to do such a thing?