04:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hi, I am seeking advice regarding camcorders

Old 12th August 2009, 19:49

Smile Hi, I am seeking advice regarding camcorders

Hi everyone, I am a new member to the forum, and am hoping I can gain some useful advice regarding the filming of steam trains.
Recently whilst at the WSR Mixed traffic weekend I noticed that as well as still photographers, many people were using camcorders to record the event. I am unfamiliar with their usage and although I have done some research for myself, I remain somewhat uncertain as to what would be a reliable camcorder model to consider buying that would offer a good quality of picture and sound.

If anyone is able to offer some wise advise I will be very grateful as I would really like to begin recording steam in this way.

Many thanks

Last edited by TivvyC; 16th August 2009 at 21:08. Reason: DELETE
Old 12th August 2009, 21:13
Station Manager

Hello TivvyC and welcome to the Railway Forum.
Hi TivvyC
I have a Sony Camcorder. It has a Memory Stick for still photos and records film onto a re-write DVD. With Dolby Stereo sound and a Carl Zeiss optical zoom of X 40 on both settings, I find it very useful. The battery lasts for 90 min’s on film and for weeks on stills. There is a digital zoom of X 2000. It is light in weight and has a view finder or you can use the screen to see what you are filming. I find it very useful and have used it a lot. Just my own thoughts, others may have other ideas.
Old 12th August 2009, 21:23

Smile Thanks for your response

Hi Syd, You represent my first contact with a fellow rail enthusiast via the railway forum. Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate it very much and will bear all you have said in mind. Looking at all the specs of the camcorders available is very confusing. Your recommendation will help narrow things down.

TivvyC
Old 12th August 2009, 21:33
Station Manager

And I got it for under £150:00 at a sale in John Lewis, Bristol.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:19

Hi TivvyC, welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the latest camcorders as I mainly take stills (I have a Sony camcorder from about 6-7 years ago - still uses Hi8 tapes!), but I believe a tripod is a must have.

Regards,
Tony
Old 13th August 2009, 19:13

Smile Thanks Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply. I take stills also and have done so for more years than I care to remember. I'm in no rush with regards to getting a Camcorder, the idea does appeal however and I feel that The best advice I can possibly get is from those who already use one to film the subject I'm interested in, namely Steam!

Enjoy your hobby
Old 13th August 2009, 20:02

Hi TivvyC and welcome.
Most still digital cameras these days have a video capability. Try it out before you part with your hard earned. I have posted a few videos on TV, some taken on my phone! Most with my Olympus FE310 compact, as the sound is amazing. The latest video I posted of the Fellsman I took with my Fuji s8100fd, just to try it out. By the way,when I use the compact I use a mini tripod that cost a quid at a pound shop. Good luck whichever way you decide to go. Will look forward to seeing some of your videos on Forum TV.
All the best Mike. ex Saltley fireman.
Old 15th August 2009, 10:54

we have got a JVC with 35 digital zoom- it takes really good pictures- dont spend less than £200- you need one wich transfers onto computers- some of them connect only to the tv- you want one which you can upload to you tube and to your media player on the pc so you can store asll films and create an account on yout tube maybe, our JVC one really does take very good films
Old 15th August 2009, 18:43

Smile Thanks Jake

I appreciate your comments Jake. I continue with my pursuits as far as a camcorder is concerned. I will look at what JVC have to offer. Your advice is much appreciated
Old 16th August 2009, 12:23

Go for a model which gives HD quality - suprising what a differance you get and also - and dont omit items such as tripods to hold the camera on - nothing worse than shakey videos - plus you also need the editing software for your lapout or computer.

John