23:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Locomotives, electric and diesel trains 1520-mm gauge.

Old 22nd October 2020, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sinclair View Post
Completely agree that we are totally behind the curve...... by a country mile!

Seeing as you are shocked at this application, i take it this isn't the norm for electric locomotives?

Bob
Well in my experience, mainline trains moving themselves around by using their batteries is the exception. I've never seen it in 21 years as a driver of electric-only trains

The trains I sign never did. Here's a list of them...

Class 313 (AC/DC) Moorgate/Hertford Loop/ECML (East Coast Mainline)
Class 317 (AC only) ECML & London Midland
Class 319 (AC/DC) Brighton Mainline / London Midland
Class 321 (AC only) ECML / Great Northern
Class 365 (AC only) ECML / Great Northern / Great Eastern
Class 377 (AC/DC) Brighton Mainline / London Midland
Class 387 (AC only) ECML / Great Northern / Great Eastern
Class 465 (DC only) SouthEastern Suburban
Class 466 (DC only) SouthEastern Suburban

Obviously traction motors require hundreds of amps to make them turn, and up until recently most electric train batteries have never had the capacity (or need) to do that.

I suspect that technological advances in battery capacity have made it possible to have a charge/weight ratio that is credible. Old fashioned Lead Acid batteries would be so heavy and take up so much space there wouldn't have been much room for passengers. If you look at the Tube's shunting locos, they're all batteries and motors!

On "traditional" electric passenger trains, batteries aren't required to pump out too much energy. When the train has been cut out (ie, completely shut down) they're used to raise the pantograph or lower the shoes , and then once the train is running on the juice they just provide 120v for the auxilliiaries when the current is interrupted by going over gaps (DC) or through Neutral Sections (AC).

They don't normally need to provide alot of energy. If a train is stranded without traction current you don't expect the batts to give you more than about 30 mins of emergency lighting and PA. And no heating, brrrrr.

My rant really was that whilst moving trains round without being juiced up is not completely new, it does seem to be on the increase. Nothing wrong with that per se, except that it shouldn't be necessary because the whole country should be wired.

Cheers, BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 23rd October 2020 at 11:03.
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:58

Hi Beeyar,

Thank you for your response, you have imparted a lot of knowledge which i really appreciate, you clearly have a lot of experience.

So, if my understanding is correct them most trains have batteries they are just used in different ways, so for emergency standby, aux power etc etc?

I find this all quite interesting, I wish there was a lit somewhere of all the electric train types, manufacturers and battery setup.

regards,

Bob
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:08

Yo Bob.

As I think this thread shows....times they are a changing.

To sum up, in the past batteries only provided support, in the form of getting the train started and then providing 120v backup for the control voltages, lighting, etc, when traction current was briefly interrupted,

But new state of the art trains are making use of modern high capacity batteries to provide traction current, albeit over relatively short distances for the moment. Don't forget that there are also hybrid trains which have electric suply (CRE/overheads) as their main traction, and a small diesel generator to crawl around with where the juice runs out. These wretched things are very ungreen, as they're dragging loads of weight around for both diesel and electric equipment.

The spirit of Heath-Robinson is alive and well in the 21st century. And all because stupid politicians can't agree to wire the whole network.

As to a source of information, I guess that traction manuals are about the best chance, if you can get them. Ebay is a good source, but don't pay too much.

Best wishes in your quest, BW.