23:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

South Devon - July

Old 13th June 2012, 19:10

South Devon - July

I hope I have this in the correct section........

I am off on holidays to Dartmouth Devon early next month and find I have a day to my self as the mrs is off to Ashburton for a day.

I would like to have a day out with my camera and hopefully capture some freight / loco movements in the area.

Are there any local members that could point me to a suitable location - don't mind travelling a bit.

Many thanks

Dave

Old 13th June 2012, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmart241 View Post
I hope I have this in the correct section........

I am off on holidays to Dartmouth Devon early next month and find I have a day to my self as the mrs is off to Ashburton for a day.

I would like to have a day out with my camera and hopefully capture some freight / loco movements in the area.

Are there any local members that could point me to a suitable location - don't mind travelling a bit.

Many thanks

Dave
Don't know the area personally- but you're not far from Tavistock Junction / Laira TMD so there's going to be something to photo even without train movements

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 13th June 2012, 22:55

Have lived in Devon over 40 years but goods trains now are rare. You need to have a freight timetable of the south west. St Blazey used to have a loco depot but closed down I think. Riverside sidings at Exeter only sees occaasional freight. Sorry I am not able to be more helpful.
Old 13th June 2012, 23:07

Hiya well nearest would be laira but u could always go down to south Devon railway in buckfastleigh it's free to walk round & they got some selection of steam & diesels!! Part from that you got Newton abbot up the line which sees some freight action once a week!!
Old 14th June 2012, 22:12

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. From Dartmouth cross the river by the lower ferry to Kingswear station, catch the steam train to Paignton. Paignton bus station is opposite the entrance to the main line station (alongside the steam railway), get a bus to Totnes railway station and get directions to the South Devon Railway (about 300 yard walk). Get a return ticket to Buckfastleigh. Have a break at Buckfastleigh, there is plenty there of interest. To get back to Dartmouth, you can get a bus from Totnes or a trip on the ferry down the River Dart is recommended. Have a grand day out.
Regards, Tony.
Old 14th June 2012, 22:14

I did that round trip some years ago, starting and finishing in Totnes.

A good day out.
Old 15th June 2012, 20:53

done that trip aswell.... and enjoyed it. If all else faails I might do it again...

Dave
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:55

To DM241 22.6.12 Exeter

If you don't want to do Tony's round tour crossing the river Dart First bus service X81 runs an houly service from Dartmouth to Totnes departing at 55mins past from 6.55 and 7.55 and at 50 mins past from 8.50 to 15.50 Monday to Saturday from the Pontoon near the cafe by river (once an old railway station with no rails). It is a 10 min walk to Totnes Riverside station for trains to Buckfaastleigh from Totnes.(Royal Severn Stars hotel).
Have changed buses in Totnes today after going through Buckfastleigh on Fridays only bus! May the sunshine. it did today. Have a good trip which ever way you go.
Chris