10:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

So, what got you interested in railways?

Old 6th June 2008, 06:13

LOL.. I like those old 153's and 158's as well but my partner drives those and absolutely hates them!

Old 6th June 2008, 22:20

I can't say what got me interested in trains. It's just something that's always been there. It dissapeared in my teens but in recent years I've re-found my fondness for them.

I just like big, loud, powerful machines which make great noise.

As for 153's / 158's - I am quite fond of all "Sprinters" and dare I say pacers but I think there's a difference between riding on them occasionally and driving them all day.
Old 7th June 2008, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
I can't say what got me interested in trains. It's just something that's always been there. It dissapeared in my teens but in recent years I've re-found my fondness for them.
That's it then Dbtc. You're probably now hooked for life! We've all trod the same path.
Old 10th June 2008, 10:27

Hi everyone! I work in the "National Company "Kazakhstan Temir Zholy" and my aim is to analyse the world experiece in railway business and hopefully I will make my path a golden mine! More over I love to traveling by train.

Last edited by Diasnomad; 10th June 2008 at 10:31.
Old 11th June 2008, 16:24

I got interested in railways throught the thomas the tank engine books and TV programs, the old cliche, I know! My family has a holiday home down in north norfolk and often frequented the north norfolk railway, one day i picked up a leaflet about volunteering and joined there and then, by october i will have been a member for 5 years (and I'm only 15!)
Old 11th June 2008, 18:22

And why not indeed Matthew since the first named Thomas lives near us and the Revd himself was vicar of Emneth and that was Toby Country as well.
Not sure what got me started though as it was a long time ago I rushed home from school to then run over a mile to the level crossing to see what was pulling the Fenman.
But that was a few miles North of Locojoe Land and he quite possibly crossed the road near the Rye House Generating Station before swinging left on his way to Hertford East.
John (G)
Old 11th June 2008, 21:46

I used to see trains in the distance at night from my bedroom window and didnt know what it was when I was a wee lad and of course when the firebox door was open you could see this red glow and the smoke and steam trailing my dad told me they were dragons.Then just after ww11 was over we went to Cornwall by train then I discovered what they were and they have been with me ever since.My father used to tip the engine driver and thank him for the safe jouney.I go on as many trips steam hauled as i can afford love em.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:58

My father sparked my interest in railways I suppose. Though the fact that we live beside the railway line and for most of my life we had no car in the family probably helped.
Old 19th July 2008, 10:52

It was a combinaton of santa specials on the SVR as a child and then inquisitiveness as a teenager at the sound of locos running in the night at Stourbridge Junction, which I found out to be pairs of class twenties. ps I lived over 1 mile away from sidings but could still hear them whistling away quite often. been hooked ever since.

www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk
Old 19th July 2008, 21:35

Must be in the blood,
Found a Great, great grandfather who was a plate layer on the Eastern Railway in the 1861 census.
John (G)