04:17

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Bollington: a new era!

Closed Thread

Old 17th August 2009, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60159
It was a godsend for the then Minister for Transport, Earnest Marples, who was very much a "roads" man and anti railway who took the opportunity of describing such railway enthusiasts as "unbalanced nutters in need of help"
Yes Marples was certainly the scourge of rail enthusiasts and certainly not the type of Cheshire MP that we need today when trying to get this project up and running.
Rumour has it that he was instrumental in the decision not to award a knighthood to Ian Allan for his services to trainspotting. Although Ian Allan did publish road transport books Marples never forgave him for bringing out the ABC railway series.
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that a disillusioned member of HOLTS actually challenged Beeching to a duel on the lawn outside the House of Lords when he heard his local railway was to be axed. Press got a hold of the story putting the future of the Society in some doubt and it went Underground for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever
Heres something I should mention, it isnt that lord Millet. It is lord Millett who is a completely different person. Sorry for the confusion.
I'm glad we've sorted out that misunderstanding. Actually I'm not even sure that Lord Millet of HOLTS fame is still alive. I know, after being forced Underground, that he suffered horric injuries when his ceremonial robes became caught in an escalator at Victoria tube station. In fact, it was this incident which resulted in the society's members changing to ermine-trimmed anoraks for all future spotting trips.
Quote:
Another thing to consider is the Health and Safety Executive - they might have a view on steam trains running right alongside a cycleway and footpath but I suppose your chum Lord Millett will have these boys in his pocket already.
I notice from the Middlewood Way publicity material that the route is also a bridleway. Have you canvassed the RSPCA's view on this matter? Steam trains and horses in close proximity could be problematic. You could issue the horses with ear-plugs (http://www.saddleandtackwarehouse.co...p?item_id=1255) but at nearly 20 dollars a pair this would soon eat into the railway's profits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever
Sadly we cannot get a football stadium as it is far too expensive .
On the subject of football......a considerable number of professional footballers and indeed TV celebrities live in East Cheshire. Have you approached any of them for sponsorship? A loco could be named in their honour or they could even become guest drivers for a day. Coincidentally I read in today's news that Kerry Katona from Wilmslow is now available(subject to the necessary testing). What a crowd-puller that would be in this celebrity obsessed World we live in?

Last edited by swisstrains; 18th August 2009 at 09:06.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:55

Swisstrains you are an absolute genuis.
For a start we want to put a fence between the track and the paths.
Celebrities are indeed a good idea and this shall be pursued later on after the reply to the email to the council comes through.
I have also come up with a plan to beat the council if they say no. If no is the answer, then I shall ask everyone here in the forum to bombard the council with emails, letters and phonecalls pleading our cause and showing them how there is next to no problems. [B]Do not do this yet!!!![B]
I will let you know when the time is right. On the point of the horses i shall argue that they are not bothered by cars on the road and so there should not be a problem with trains. Anyway we shall advise to horse riders that it would be sensible to use pariferal vision blockers that fit over the eyes.
Of course the local clubs will be informed and will ask for their advice on horse habits and give our safety advice which will also be posted at all joining points for the path.
Now if I seem a little rude to anyone regarding copyright and stealing it is because we are very wary right now about that subject. It is no longer possible to do so but we we still want to be careful. Sorry if i offend you.
As we go from strength to strength we will let you know of furthere developments, but there are some things that we cannot tell you for credibility and opposition (if there is any) issues.
Remember that we are enthusiasts and together we have stopped steam from disapearing and created many beautiful little lines so we are a force to be reckoned with.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:13

There is now an opinion poll in the thread.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:38

Now that the opinion poll is up and running, I should mention to those who have not read the posts that this is a serious project that is making steady progress. we do of course need enthusiast support and we would be greatful if you took a look through the past few pages on some of the points made that may help you in your decision.
I will update if any news arises.
Old 18th August 2009, 20:49

I voted NO to helping because I feel that this is way to big for a group of amateurs to tackle. It requires a professional team working with solicitors and architects and Lord knows who else. Just getting a Lottery Grant would have to be matched pound for pound and the application is so taxing it would try the patients' of a saint. Best of British but I dont hold out much hope of you getting over the first major hurdle - Planning!!
Old 18th August 2009, 21:04

Here we go.
My family has been in the rail industry for years. One part of the family is in insurance and surity that can cover the railway line.
Where planning is concerned we have several arguments which we are protecting from public eye currently.
MAY I REMIND YOU THAT WE WOULD NOT HAVE RUNNING STEAM OR ANY HERITAGE RAILWAYS SO EVEN IF WE WERE JUST AMETURES WE WOULD STILL SUCCEED.

Last edited by steam for ever; 18th August 2009 at 21:42.
Old 18th August 2009, 21:10

I should also mention that we have a very good friend who is an architect and I am beginnig training.
No matter which way you put it we are slowly suceeding and as it has been proved, enthusiasts are a very powerful force.
Oh so angry!!!

Last edited by steam for ever; 18th August 2009 at 21:24.
Old 18th August 2009, 22:05

Wouldn't it be great if we could get one of these for the B&MLR?
http://www.chemistry.bristol.ac.uk/org/murray/ok%202797.htm
It could be named after his lordship and known affectionately as the "Millett Mallet"

Last edited by swisstrains; 18th August 2009 at 22:19.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:21

Yes it would but they may be hard to come by.
Tell you what swisstrains, take a look at www.prestonservices.co.uk
and look at railway locomotives. They have some tank engines by the same builder.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:43

Oh sorry for the meeting date wait.
We are waiting for the reply from the council currently.