06:01

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Blue Pullman DMU

Old 20th January 2010, 11:47

Blue Pullman DMU

I have just found a web site that gives a lot of info on the Blue Pullman DMUs that ran on the Midland and Western regions.

I found it quite interesting.

http://www.railcar.co.uk/hisOthers/BPintro.htm There are 8 sections of info on the LH side.

Does anyone here remember them ?

Old 20th January 2010, 12:08

Very interesting indeed

I only ever seen this train once at Paddington a lovely looking train its just a shame that none were ever saved.

ccmmick.

Old 20th January 2010, 17:55

This was through Bedford on many occasions looked real good
Old 20th January 2010, 21:00

I went with my cousin to Manchester Central one night to see the Blue Pullman arrive from St.Pancras. One of the train attendants saw us trying to peer through the windows and gave us a conducted tour of the train. Very impressive, especially when compared to the ordinary trains of that period.
Old 20th January 2010, 21:21

Such a shame it was scrapped John
Old 20th January 2010, 21:34

BR managed to deface it in the later years, being white with blue at window level, with full yellow fronts. I saw all the WR units, either at Reading, or in the 'Pullman' sheds at Old Oak Common. Lovely looking units, it must be said. You would have thought that at least a driving trailer would have been preserved.
Does anyone have any other 'should have been preserved' moans about an modern traction? I think we're all aware of what STEAM is lacking in preservation (my particular gripe: a GWR 47xx 2-8-0), but what about diesels, electrics, and units?
This might be interesting....
Old 20th January 2010, 21:41

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
BR managed to deface it in the later years, being white with blue at window level, with full yellow fronts. I saw all the WR units, either at Reading, or in the 'Pullman' sheds at Old Oak Common. Lovely looking units, it must be said. You would have thought that at least a driving trailer would have been preserved.
Does anyone have any other 'should have been preserved' moans about an modern traction? I think we're all aware of what STEAM is lacking in preservation (my particular gripe: a GWR 47xx 2-8-0), but what about diesels, electrics, and units?
I wolud have liked 10000 or 10001 cant understand why they didnt they were both regular visiters around bedford mostly double headed
Old 20th January 2010, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrat View Post
I wolud have liked 10000 or 10001 cant understand why they didnt they were both regular visiters around bedford mostly double headed
Good one Garrat! One of those two would certainly been on MY list, along with SR 20001/2 or 20003, plus a D600 Warship. Look:
http://daverowland.fotopic.net/p44362878.html
Old 20th January 2010, 21:53

Yes D600 warship used to get then through here on rare occasions. 10000/1 looked real good with those large Chrome numbers if they were chrome that is .they were allways very clean locos when I saw them.
Old 21st January 2010, 15:34
Station Manager

Thanks for the link Philip.

The Blue Pullman was taken up the Wirksworth Branch on a test/photo run. There is a photo in the Wirksworth Branch Book (2nd. ed.)

Used to see the Birmingham Pullman (8 car set) in Birmingham Snow Hill quite often. Looked great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Dave you might get your wish with the 47XX. It is an open secret that Didcot are hoping to use some of the "Barry Bits" to build one once the Saint is finished.

Best wishes,

John H-T.